Monday 19 October 2020

The Germans are coming,the Germans are coming!

As part of my ever expanding Gallic campaign,(which is slowly taking over my life!) I have decided to incorporate a migration/invasion from Germania into Gaul,so that not only can I have Germans fighting Romans,but I can also have Germans fighting Gauls!!-where will it end? The first "batch" of Germans that I have painted are from the Suebi (Suevi?) tribe .............................



Twelve warbands of infantry and three units of cavalry-the infantry take a bit of cleaning up,but the end result is worth it.


Detail of the infantry-note the traditional Suebi "Hair knot".



According to "Tacitus" they attacked in a wedge formation-I don't fancy the chances of the guys in the front rank!!!-But what of the rest of the Germans?


Well,they're on their way-twelve warbands of infantry and four units of cavalry-more than a match for both Romans and Gauls!!!(Only some of them shown here-rest are on painting table,under-coated and ready to go!)






















 

13 comments:

  1. Impressive stuff yet again John. I'm racking my brain for suggestions where to take this, but sure your brain is already full of plans. You're right, the one piece casting cavalry are lovely. Take care, Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris,my brain has been "broken" for a few years now,but I think "sneakiness" has replaced it-watch this space!
      johnc

      Delete
  2. Suave Suebi.
    Do the Romans sing “ Suebi, Suebi Do, where are you? “ before a battle...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allan,good to hear from you-but that joke!!!
      Made me smile though,and we all need a smile at the moment,keep safe,
      johnc

      Delete
  3. Impressive John and good to see you still pottering about, so keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robbie,where have you been?I hate to admit it but I've been worried about you!!What do you mean "pottering"-only old men "potter" and I don't fit into that category!!
      johnc

      Delete
    2. If we ever meet again we can have a really long talk, preferably over a beer that you will kindly buy me.

      Delete
    3. Robbie-I'll drink to that-glad you're ok!
      cheers,johnc

      Delete
  4. Looking great John. They are gonna give those impressive looking Romans from earlier a difficult time of it (not to mention the Gauls)!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi James-the Germans should be finished by early next week,and then the fun will start!
      Keep safe,cheers.
      johnc

      Delete
  5. Excellent John....you are a painting machine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave-I may have said it before,maybe,but "it's good being retired!"-certainly as far as painting goes!-are we allowed to meet,and talk,even in the garden-I've lost track!
      johnc

      Delete
    2. I think we are allowed to meet in the garden....if the weather is good i may pop by for a chat at the weekend?

      Delete