Saturday 30 October 2021

If you go down to the woods today…

Indians!

I just fancied painting some Woodland Indians, but being first and foremost a gamer, I’ve bought enough minis for a French Indian War collection of a Sharp Practice scale. The British side will be supplemented by regulars I already have for the 1745 Jacobite Rebellion. They’re close enough. 


These 12 figures are lovely, animated sculpts from Perrys. In Sharp Practice 12 Indians is a ‘Tribe’ group, so that’s my first unit. 

The rest of the minis I’ve bought are Warlord; lots more Indians, Rangers, Coureurs de Bois and Franches de la Marine. I avoided the plastic figures Warlord offer; I much prefer metal minis. And Roj Castle has passed me some spare Fife and Drum minis which I can use to field a group of militia for either side.

I’ve seen nicer Woodland Indians, but then I know a lot of talented brushmeisters!  I’m pleased with these and know I’ll enjoy painting the rest.

A few close ups…



Cheers 

Chris

Whoop, whoop!


 

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful figures, beautifully painted and based. FIW - Perfect for Featherstone's Close Wars rules (appendix to his War Games book 1962) here - https://manoftinblog.wordpress.com/2016/06/09/close-little-wars-featherstones-simplest-rules/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark. And an old school reference there. You’d be hard pressed to drag me away from Sharp Practice! (We have played a version of Little Wars at the East Leeds Militaria Society Wargames Club)

      Delete
  2. Fabulous basing to go with those figures
    I'll stick with the fort walls thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers Paul. Basing is a doddle with tufts tha knows. Acknowledge you volunteering for sentry duty on the walls…

    ReplyDelete
  4. Only on the basis that there isn't a concrete command refuge .. sorry bunker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You’d miss all the action behind 2’ of concrete!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks Ray. I flatter myself that I can broadly copy Roger Castle’s style. Good to see you visiting Westerhope blog!

      Delete
    2. Cracking stuff,Chris-have you checked out Warrior Miniatures Indians,Rangers etc?-worth a visit.
      johnc

      Delete
    3. Thanks John. My usual form, I’ve bought all the figures I want for this small project. Rest are predominately Warlord, ex Conquest quite nice minis

      Delete
  6. Great looking figures, most atmospheric basing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cheers. Really enjoyed painting them. I’m pleased with the busy basing. So easy these days with tufts

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely woodland Indians. French and Indian War is such an interesting period.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi James. Thanks very much. Some nice painting to look forward to with this mini-project

      Delete