Thursday 18 February 2021

Project WW2 diorama (Part 1)

My inspiration for this started by watching a modelling blog video of someone far more skilled than I am. They'd made a model of a downed Spitfire.

I know! I can do something similar as table eye candy for our WW2 northern European theatre.                                                                 Of course I could ha ! ha !

So that's where the germ of an idea started....  What was the idea then ?

A crashed German fighter, involving a Messerschmidt BF109 fighter and a broken tree / hedge                                                              Oh and a bailed out pilot too ! 

 I chose a 1/48 scale as closest to 28mm. 

Now this is what I call a bargain !


Of course being a glutton for punishment I wanted a detailed cockpit

as I intended to have the canopy open on the model. 

These kits are laser cut metal sheet and coloured where the dials are. 

Superb details ...   as fiddly as can be though, as I was to discover later !

After much cutting, gluing and cussing the cockpit started to take shape

Panel parts have to be folded and attached and the trim wheel goes next to the pilots seat
               


The control panel is really well detailed and has three parts to it.



Completed seat and control panel with seat belts etc.





Both sides of the fuselage painted ready for 
the seat to be fitted and then glued together.


This wing is going to be the ripped off so I used
baking foil to copy the panel lines and ailerons.


Once painted this will be torn to simulate the broken section.

To be continued........


4 comments:

  1. That is a different project for you. Amazing detail in the cockpit John. I am impressed.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. James-is the Covid getting to you??-that was Paul's blog,but I'm sure he'll be pleased with your comment,regards.
      johnc

      Delete
  2. Paul-I'm "gobsmacked" absolutely brilliant,but how "fiddly" can you get-bloody well done!!!-can't wait for the second part.
    johnc

    ReplyDelete