Monday 26 April 2021

From Hero to Zero!!!

I am reliably informed that some people make "Airfix " kits for fun-fun? bloody fun?? they must be mad!! I bought two (why?) Airfix Zero Fighter kits to add to Brian's collection of Japanese WW2 troops and spent hours and hours trying to decipher the instructions,sticking every part of the damned kit to various parts of my body,whilst drinking copious amounts of Rum to try and make sense of it all!!-then there were the "decals"-enough said about those bloody things..............



Beautiful coloured box and equipment needed to assemble the kit,and instructions(well one of three pages of them!!)

After "completing" the kits,these are the bits I had left-I'm sure I was supposed to use all of them!


There's even a little man to put in the cockpit thingy-by the time I'd had a couple of glasses of rum,I didn't know if he was supposed to be a pirate or a pilot!!

The 134 refers to the number of times I tried to get the bloody thing level!!!!-why do all Airforces have targets painted on their sides??-the undersides have decals on them too,but I wouldn't dare photograph them-disaster is too kind a word for them!!

The finished articles mounted on pieces of MDF with a wooden BBQ skewer to hold them up!

Well,I'm off to do something easy now-I'm studying Quantum Physics at the Open University (Westerhope Campus)-well,its got to be easier than building an Airfix kit!!!




















20 comments:

  1. You really have no patience!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kettle-Black!!-I nearly ended up as a Patient!seeyou on Friday this week instead of Thursday?
      johnc

      Delete
    2. Quiet Brian or I will mention the 6 pounder....

      Delete
  2. You’re supposed to sniff the glue....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Doug,good to hear from you-I tried sniffing the glue,but got it stuck to my nose!!
      johnc

      Delete
  3. Mate... Try sticking together Games Workshop sci fi figures. Seperate hands, gun muzzles and in one case heels in 28mm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Mike,makes my efforts pale into insignificance-I am in awe of anyone who has the patience to do that sort of thing!
      johnc

      Delete
  4. You are funny playing the goat. You’ve made a smashing job of them. I can see all the spare parts but can’t see that the finished aircraft are missing anything important. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw shucks,you're too kind-you should see them close up!! I couldn't understand why the engine had 4 parts(all fiddly!) then you covered the whole thing up with a cowling thing-madness!!
      johnc

      Delete
    2. That is madness. Of course Paul would feel obliged to model the plane getting repaired with the engine showing. There are degrees of madness 😉

      Delete
    3. Chris-he's seriously thinking of doing just that-total madness!
      johnc

      Delete
  5. I would pay money to see you putting together a set of Ikea draws.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robbie-you wouldn't pay money for anything!!
      How are you,we're missing your blog?
      johnc

      Delete
  6. Another rollicking tale and it was not evne about a game!
    They look excellent, despite the lack of fun and troubles you had (no doubt slightly exaggerated for comic effect).
    Regards, James
    (I have recently got back into making some model kits, something that I did a lot of in my childhood/youth and have enjoyed the experience (once more)).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yo James-honestly,I wouldn't attempt another plastic kit ever!!-Hope you enjoy building your models-what are you building?
      johnc

      Delete
    2. Some first World War planes. I have a Fokker eindecker and a 'whale' (Roland C-11), both Airfix, on the go. A Mk1 'male' tank that I completed late in 2019 was the first model that I had made in years.
      While the joy/satisfaction of the past has been re-kindled for me I can completely understand your position/decision and that they are not for everyone. I do a 'hack' job to produce items for the table-top, so not one of these fine, detailed modellers who sands the pieces, airbrushes the paint and constructs beautiful pieces for a display cabinet or competitive assessment!

      Delete
    3. G'day Mate,my sentiments exactly-I've always thrown the rule book(instructions?) away,and "hacked"(a marvellous word!) where I think fit-great stuff.
      johnc

      Delete
  7. They look great John! I am looking forward to seeing Brian's new WW2 stuff....and possibly looking forward to seeing him as well 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave,looking forward to seeing Brian???-work's gone to your head mate!!
      johnc

      Delete