Thursday 15 April 2021

Successful Successors!

These Thursday morning games with Paul are just getting better and better -Todays foray into history pitted Ptolemy against Antigonus,and it was another "cracker" of a game!


Terrain map and table before any movement-I was Ptolemy and Paul was Antigonus(on the left of picture)



Top photo shows the "calm before the storm"-bottom photo shows the STORM!!-Billy Smart didn't have as many Elephants as this!!(but probably handled them better!)


Things are starting to hot up-my phalanx is advancing "En Echelon" and my first line of peltasts are advancing to contact Paul's-it's going to get messy soon!


Top photo shows my 2 strong phalanx units mixing it with Paul's units,bottom photo shows the Elephants running amok-I said it would get messy!!-Why would anyone have Elephants in their army by choice??-bloody things!


Top shot shows the on-going melee between phalanx units,bottom shot shows all of the phalanx units making contact-these melees went on for three or four moves before we both had units retiring(it's good being retired!)-look at the centre-the peltasts are slaughtering each other-neither side gaining a foothold!!


This is move 7,and my plan has just come to fruition-my second line peltasts are just about to hit Paul's phalanx in the flank-however,his second line of peltasts are still fresh and could sweep down on my centre,so we decided that a  draw was  a good result for both of us-at least I hadn't lost!


The final shot just had to go to the remaining Elephants-still rampaging around the place-absolutely great game,I lost 7 officers to Paul's 3-same old,same old!!! Roll on next week,maybe Brian can come along,you never know! Next week might be a Jacobite game.


















































6 comments:

  1. Any draw against Paul is a win! That’s a lot of elephants and it looks like a big game generally. Looked difficult for either of you to get the upper hand, juggernaut against juggernaut. I very much look forward to whatever Jacobite game you have planned. 275th anniversary of Culloden today

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris-I class it as a win!!-re. Culloden,my ancestors were there,lost all lands,money and titles in that one!!-nothing changes then!
      johnc

      Delete
  2. I should take delivery of Irish Picquets figures from a Kickstarter this month. Can’t wait to field them in a game. Which should be this year yay! I’ve had an interest in the 45 since reading Like Hungry Wolves and playing your Drumnadrochit game ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris,can you post some photo's when you get them?-the Culloden battle site is awsome,and I do believe they've got a new visitor centre open now.cheers,
      johnc.

      Delete
  3. Another magnificent looking game. Nearly as many elephants as phalangites; superb!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment James-exciting and colourful, what more could you ask of any game??
      johnc

      Delete