Friday 2 April 2021

Skating on thin ice!

Strange title for an ECW blog!!

Oh what a wit,Torville and Dean-hilarious!!!!


This is the game that Paul and I played on Thursday-another "corker",Paul was Royalists and I was Parliamentarians.


My advance begins-centre and right troops first,hoping to take out Paul's cavalry and capture Windmill hill,my left was to hold position until contact was made by my centre and right-foolproof plan(only it was made by a fool!!)


My "foolproof" plan was thwarted by Paul,who left his defensive positions in Torville and Church Hill,and attacked my troops!!-as you can see an almighty fire-fight developed,prior to "push of pike"-absolutely cracking stuff!

The cavalry battle in the centre was an awsome sight-Gay(steady!) Cavaliers against Dour Ironsides-actually it was very one-sided as Paul decided to throw horribly high dice against my horribly low dice-the man has friends on the "dark side",I'm sure!!



Top photo shows the developing cavalry melee,unit after unit being fed in to support one another,bottom photo shows the infantry fire-fight (but note vulnerable flank!!!)


An overall view of the table,showing the terrible position I have got myself into-Paul is pretending to write orders but is actually communicating with some "dark force" somewhere,giving him supernatural dice throwing abilities!!! The push of pike was great to see,but ,of course, Paul won most of the melees,killing alot of my Officers in the process!

What a picture-my cavalry are fleeing,Windmill hill is still in Royalist hands,and my infantry have been forced to form a massive "square-type defensive formation-is it all over??

YES!!-although I had infantry in Torville,Paul held Church Hill and Windmill Hill,and most of my troops were on their way home(!!) so I graciously handed him the victory!

After he had gone,I checked Paul's dice,and as I touched them thunder and lightning echoed around the garage and a Crow could be heard "cawing" outside-surely he isn't-is he???

Another great game(for one of us!) probably Colonial next week,possibly involving palm trees in the desert somewhere!-well done to Paul,a well-deserved victory.


































































 

6 comments:

  1. I think that we need to borrow from golf and introduce a handicap system to counter Paul’s “demon” dice throwing. Looks very much like a corker. I think that the closest to a square ECW foot would manage would be a huddle! Poor old Royalists coming off worst yet again... I look forward to seeing your palms in action :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Handicap??-tie his hands together I say!!!
      Yes,the "square" was rather out of period,but I couldn't think of anything else to do!
      johnc

      Delete
    2. Figured that he had you against the ropes by that point ;-)

      Delete
    3. Chris-it wasn't so one-sided as I made out,I actually won one melee!!
      johnc

      Delete
  2. Not so much a skate as a dance with the devil in the clear daylight, you might say?
    I like the sensible naming of geographic features. Mind you, they'll be stuffed if they get burned down by rough troops!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello James-keep commenting and reading.
      cheers,johnc

      Delete