Monday 14 November 2022

Friehecklsberganhoff 1757.

It was down to three of us to play this very interesting Seven Years War game(unfortunately Brian has had the week from Hell,so didn't make it.) So Paul and Graham took command of the Austrian Army,whilst I took total control(?) of the Prusians.

This is the scenario and terrain map-each side had to throw a dice to decide,morale,artillery shots and when the reinforcements came onto the board!



Opening moves and volley fires-grand looking stuff(real wargaming!!)


Graham defended the Farmhouse brilliantly,but his attack on the town was a disaster,as I kept replacing shattered regiments with fresh ones,and used cannister shot to great effect-hurrah!!



As the infantry battle raged on,the cavalry battle was in full swing,with,initially, neither side gaining an advantage-then I started to lose melee after melee,leading to a victory for Paul's Dragoons and Cuirassiers!



I thought I had pulled off a tactical "Coup" by combining my reinforcements and a couple of front line regiments into a vast column,hoping.by weight of numbers,to overwhelm Graham's troops in the farm area-but it wasn't allowed!! and the column (who I'm sure could have "pushed" the wall over!) had to disperse leaving the Austrians victorious!!


At the end of the game the Town was still in Prussian hands,and that was the objective! so technically it was a Prussian victory,but with the failed "Column Attack" and the cavalry beaten soundly,I suppose it was an Austrian victory-which ever way you look at it it was an interesting and exciting game,so well done lads,and roll on next Sunday-if Brian is ok it might be Vikings vs Dark Age Irish!!!!






































8 comments:

  1. Great looking game with some dubious tactical ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll see you at Stockton!-dubious indeed!!
      johnc

      Delete
  2. They wouldn’t have told Frederick the Great that it wasn’t allowed ;-) cracking looking game mate. Cheers Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely looking game, and yes it can be a bit of a dampener when these situations arise. Spose toss of a die might resolve the discussion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. James-we just talk things through,and I'm never right!!!
      johnc

      Delete
  4. BTW, the name of the town...roughly translates as Three mountains backsides station. I believe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. James,I was told that it translates as Beautiful hamlet in the rolling hills and mountains-the swines!! duped again(actually I made it up!)
      johnc

      Delete