Wednesday 1 December 2021

Odds and Sods(Ramblings!)

Having been at a loose end for the past few days(heavy cold-again!) I have had time to sort things out,and these are the "ramblings" of the blog title....................



I bought these "Epic" cavalry at Stockton,at a very reasonable price-64 in total,and have painted them in double quick time,using my tried and tested "essential" painting technique-ie, no detail!!!-I am pleased with the way they look,and will now feature in future "epic" games.




Three more images,featuring the "Rebs" and a one of a clash between the two sides.

Our game at Stockton was a great success,and looked spectacular,however,looking at it as a wargame,it was too big to be managablefor a night's gaming,due to the massive amount of units involved,so I have experimented with reducing the number of units by the simple expedient of "doubling up" the units.ie instead of one base equaling a regiment,I now have two bases to a regiment.........



Top image is the "new" regiment,bottom is a brigade c/wwith guns and commander-I will try a few solo games to see how it works,but I can't see any disadvantages as yet.


I ordered these "macabre" counters at Stockton,from Pendraken,to be used when we throw the requisite dice to kill an officer in our normal 25mm games-they will be placed behind a unit that has lost its officer,to indicate a morale loss-I coloured them in,they came as just a black outline!




I bought a copy of Wargames Illustrated today at Tesco! and the attached sprue of Warlord Games latest offering was given free!_WATERLOO.-the detail is utterly fantastic,and I'm sure will be a big hit.The price of the magazine shocked me (POP_Poor Old Pensioner),so it's bread and water for the next week!-The scan thingy is a bit too much for me-I must be the only person in the world who doesn't own a mobile phone,so WI have "locked" me out,and another thing-the mag. is in a plastic wrapper!!-I thought we were supposed to be saving the planet!!




When playing my solo games,I obviously have to throw dice for each side,so I have "made" this dice thrower,and now have to only throw once instead of twice!!-I know,I know,lazy bugger!! however I am saving the planet by re-cycling a plastic pot,and preventing any throws going onto the garage floor and losing the dice!!-What else can I come up with to fill in my idle time until the weather changes????




































 

8 comments:

  1. Hey John. Great work with the cavalry. Could the brigade become the basic tactical unit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris(hope you are all feeling a bit better!) yes,the basic tactical unit will be the brigade,though we could make this the division if we have extra large games!-sky's the limit so they say.
      johnc

      Delete
  2. Good idea with the dice thrower, saves time and prevents loss. On the subject of plastic and saving the planet, the manufacturers have come up with a marvellous slight of hand....by reducing the weight of the plastic tubs, they can trumpet their caring green credentials,HOWEVER reducing the weight does not reduce the NUMBER of tubs thrown away.
    The thinner plastic in fact results in a greater wastage at the supermarket, goods coming in damaged, and further numbers damaged in the shelf!But someone has ticked a box somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said,and your point is well made James,thanks for the comment,cheers.
      johnc

      Delete
    2. I use specimen pots (unused I hasten to add!) that my missus gets from her work (she's a nurse).. four different coloured dice in each one, and it saves a lot of lost dice and table clutter..

      Delete
    3. Hi STW-good idea,glad the spec pots are un-used!!!cheers.
      johnc

      Delete
  3. The only way to go in this scale is brigade size bases John. You've seen my 6mm armies. They are all based as brigades and frankly they worked really well for very big games. Give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Robbie,hopefully within the next few weeks I will be trying the Brigade structure,and as you say,it worked well for your 6mm so why not for these 12/15mm.
      johnc

      Delete