Friday 26 November 2021

Birthday Big Boy

It goes to show how far from the Westerhope tree I’ve fallen (Yorkshire) that I dabble in sci-fi and fantasy gaming. For my 40th birthday I decided that it was a big milestone so painted a sci-fi figure to commemorate the event. I’m guessing that I painted a commemorative figure for my 50th, but can’t remember…

Today isn’t a milestone birthday, but having been introduced to Kings of War fantasy gaming rules by a friend I was gripped with enthusiasm and set myself the target of painting a fantasy figure I’d bought yonks ago as this year’s birthday commemorative figure. As it happens I had finished it last weekend since we were all stuck home as my youngest had contracted Covid. 

Then my eldest caught Covid…

And now I have Covid! 

Fortunately I can still pass the day painting etc. I’m not bed bound. 

So the giant was bought second hand and undercoated black on the sprues. The figure came with lots of options, which is always good, and a sculpted base. In Kings of War base sizes are prescriptive so I needed to build up around the plastic base. I used my usual basing material - floor tile grout.

I put the figure on a temporary painting base - something I usually do - then sprayed him with Army Painter Desert Yellow. I often use this as an undercoat. The photo shows the giant with block colours painted and the scenic base almost finished.

 

The figure was then given an all over wash before I detailed the figure.  


His main weapon is a tree with a grave headstone crudely attached. 


His armour is a mixture of strapped on pieces of armour and what I’ve taken to be dragon skin. Oh and he’s got field rations - a bag of halflings!

His clothing is very reminiscent of the leggings and loincloths of Woodland Indians. The leggings are roughly stitched together from a variety of pieces of fabric. Probably wagon covers and horse barding. The loincloths are flags! He clearly has an ample supply of ale in that keg. His skin looks suitable dirty. And urgh he’s just stepped in something nasty - a goblin!

It’s a lovely, detailed mini. Games Workshop at its finest. A joy to paint.

This is certainly the largest figure I’ve painted. Even hunched as he is, he is about 100mm tall. I had painted a 75mm English archer for a friend’s dad last year. Really enjoyed painting something 3 times my usual figure scale. 

I didn’t detail the giant as much, but certainly enjoyed painting such a big lad!  

Continued evidence of how far I’ve fallen from the Westerhope tree is another big guy for another fantasy ‘period’; Zeus for Greek mythological gaming. The figure is from the excellent boardgame Mythic Battles Pantheon, but will also be used in the wargame Of Gods and Mortals. 

Stay safe and hopefully my sci-fi and fantasy dabbling won’t get me barred from Westerhope Wargames Group!

Cheers

Chris

10 comments:

  1. Kings of War and GW do make some lovely figures. Dont ask me what they represent but as models, they are first-rate.I painted a 54mm chess set using Tradition Napoleonic figures, you could always try that as your next challenge. Lovely archer by the way, well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robbie. The archer is probably the best I’ve painted ever. Really enjoyed doing it. I’ve several large fantasy Titans to paint at some point. Not short of options if I want to go large!

      Delete
  2. Bloody marvelous Chris.. space for all kinds of taste here mate. Herrington highland flingers,batle hill bosanover and scotswood samba dancers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers mate. I do have some wardancers in my ‘good’ army. They’re Elves ;-) I play what me and my friends enjoy. That covers a lot of games and periods

      Delete
  3. Chris,couldn't help noticing that the GIANT has more than a passing resemblance to a certain BRIAN!!! Very nice paint job,hope you're well soon.
    johnc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John. Hope you’re better soon too. Funny there seem to be a lot of folk who’ve recognised a family resemblance. Lots of giant in the gene pool I guess

      Delete