Saturday 15 October 2022

Back of Beyond Chinese Again

 My Warlord Chinese forces for “Back of Beyond” games move ever closer to completion. Some of the latest additions…




White Russian lancers in Chinese service. A real feel that this is a bodyguard unit. They’re armed to the teeth with lances, Mauser pistols and Dao swords. 




More White Russians. This time two companies of infantry. I didn’t have a use for the nice ex-Chinese Imperial flags, but since they’re so nice I’ve imagined them being given to these Russians as a sort of anything will do for these foreign mercenaries type arrangement. If they carried flags I would expect they’d have been standard Chinese infantry flags, but the blue dragon on the yellow field looks so cool. Also makes me think of noodles…

Next are a few vital command figures…



Irrespective of rules used, you need command figures, am I right or am I right?!



The first photo shows a Warlord in full ceremonial dress uniform with an attendant. And also two Mongolian horsemen. I’ve no plans to include Mongols in my collection but these figures came with a Mongolian princess, that I did want, and they look mean. They can maybe command some bandits!

The second photo shows regular Chinese officers. I’ve based these in pairs on a whim. And why not. 




Top photo shows a Japanese officer. The Chinese made use of many foreign advisors. This figure is from Warlord Games whereas all the other figures are Copplestone Castings. 

Middle photo shows an easy, but effective headswap. The original figure is in the base in the background. I’ve given him a WW1 Austrian head. Certainly in the late 1930s the Chinese used German style helmets. 

And the bottom photo is a closer look at the Mongolian princess. Not a command figure, but a nice to have figure which should be useful for scenarios. 

All figures painted by mate Andy White. I’ve added the flags and pennants and done the basing. Cos I like to at least do these things myself. 


The figures are all based to match Roj Castle’s RCW collection and for use with Toofatlardies’ Triumph of the Will rules. We have had a few games with these rules lately, playing RCW, pitting my Chinese against Roj’s Mad Baron, or as in the photo his Reds. And the general feeling is that the rules are ok, and we remain committed to using them, but they’re not quite right… when we play next, it will be my third rewrite of the rules! Getting there…

Thanks for reading

Chris 😎


9 comments:

  1. Thanks Neil. It’s a collection only possible with the lovely Copplestone range. Most of the collection painted now. Main thing I have left to do are 3 aircraft. Andy has last of the regular infantry in hand. And last are some bandits and civvies that I may do myself

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting period, remember as a child seeing a film set in wartorn Warlord China, think Barbara Stanwyck was in it? The Bitter Tea of General someone or other. It was on the t.v. I hasten to add,NOT at the cinema.Am not that blxxdy old!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1933 your movie. Almost contemporary!

      Delete
    2. Almost! Lol

      Delete
  3. Ah, right back to the point, keep rambling on a bit lol. Anyway, haven't googled it yet, but I seem to recall that after WW1 a member of the Habsburg family tried to conquer Russia, by raising an army of Mongols! Think it had something to do with Sacred Sword of Ghengiz Khan, however, may be confusing that but with a film starring Warned Orland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi James. I think the Mad Baron Ungern-Sternberg claimed to be Genghis Khan reincarnated! There’s scope for all sorts of madness in gaming the Back of Beyond. Cheers, Chris

      Delete
    2. Yes! That was the chap! And as a bag of frogs. Warner Oland was the actor I typed, predictive text plays havoc. Interestingly, if I type brits , it changes it to BRUTES.lol.

      Delete
  4. Did it again! MAD as a bag of frogs.

    ReplyDelete