Monday 17 October 2022

Senlac Hill (Hastings!) 1066.

Talk about history repeating itself!-last night it fell to Paul and I to refight this iconic battle-Brian and Graham sat this one out and Dave is still not feeling too well-Paul was Harold,I was William,and what a great game it turned out to be,apart from one disgraceful episode of over the top"gloating" from,I'm ashamed to say,myself!!!


 This was the simplified terrain/disposition map-I had decided to try and stick to the historical tactics of the day,and consequently attacked with both flanks initially-Paul,true to form,stood in his shield wall,ready to blunt my attacks.................


Both flanks move to the attack,whilst in my centre,archers were "peppering" the Saxon shieldwall-to little effect!


With the flanks engaged,my Normans move forward-William leading the cavalry-awsome sight!



With a resounding "crash" the two sides meet-I was at a disadvantage coming up against the shieldwall-and the resulting melee was predictable(given Paul's league -with -the- Devil,dice throwing!!)-however,the flanks of the Saxons were looking not too good!



These photo's show the Norman left flank,making real in-roads against the Saxon lines,so much so that Harold(Paul) decided to bolster the troops there by joining in the fight(prepare for "gloating")-yes,you've guessed it-I threw the requisite dice and killed him-a "DAD DANCE" of epic proportions followed,much to the disgust of Brian,Graham and Paul!!!-this ,of course,ended the game,as I had also penetrated(steady!) the Saxon centre,and was poised to charge my cavalry into the gap created-hurrah!!




Top photo shows the right flank-I was sorely pressed by the Saxons,but managed to hold my own(steady again!)-in the centre an ugly hole is about to be exploited by my cavalry!!

I thoroughly enjoyed this game-it looked right,and the result was right,by the way,what have the Normans ever done for us??-Roll on next week.we should have a full house,and possibly and Ancients game.

































6 comments:

  1. It looks phenomenal John. Hopefully the accurate recreation of events was accompanied by many laughs and much gassing. Cheers, Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers James,a very enjoyable game!
    johnc

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris,the "gassing" seems to have stopped for the moment,but the laughs continue-see you at Stockton??
    johnc

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’ll be there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. To love and comfort youhoo!!
    johnc

    ReplyDelete