Monday 15 January 2024

Painting aid for sore eyes!

My wife bought me this very handy lamp(LED!) for Xmas,I can now paint without having to rely on daylight!



Only problem is it shows up all the imperfections!!!

As I couldn't go to Dave,s house for a game last night,I had to console myself with a Sudanese solo game this afternoon.


Top photo shows the layout-simple scenario-Ansars command a town overlooking an oasis-British have to capture it! Bottom photo shows the well-defended town.Ansars had ordrs not to launch an attack unless the British moved onto the plain-British had orders not to move until the right flank brigades had captured the town.



Top photo shows the right flank-however the first line has advanced without the support of the second line which has refused to move!!-bottom photo shows an over enthusiastic brigade of Bengal infantry advancing onto the plain,instead of just moving through the Bengal cavalry,to give them supporting fire-this of course triggered a mass Ansar charge-oh dear!!



Top Photo caption should read-"here they come!"-bottom shows the second line right flank brigade has motivated itself and is supporting the first line,who are in a spot of bother!!



Top photo shows the massive melee on the left and centre-having taken casualties coming in,the Ansars are at a disadvantage! Bottom photo shows the fight for the town,without the second line support the first line would have been beaten-the reserves can be seen attacking the gun battery guarding the town,and doing well!

The Ansars are retiring(it's good being retired!) on the left and centre,however the right flank is still being hotly contested......................

The melee continues,but the reserves have driven away the Ansar gun battery and are now in control of the town.thus threatening the Ansar flank,so they too retired(!)-a great British victory,but not without a few nail biting moments,These solo games provide me with alot of thought as to how I can play the games using as realistic planning and tactics as possible-another tomorrow I think!.



































 

6 comments:

  1. Good job on the lamp. I can’t believe you’ve not used one before! I use a daylight bulb.
    The game looks great fun. You’ve really got the solo gaming figured out. My Covid lockdown solo gaming showed that I don’t… I usually lost lol
    Cheers, Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris,Lamp should be a God Send when I get something to paint-can't think of anything I need at the moment,although Samurai are niggling away at my wargames brain915mm of course!)
      johnc

      Delete
    2. Listen to that niggle! Dave will help you paint the Nissan Clan now he’s a gentleman of leisure. Cheers, Chris

      Delete
    3. Chris,Dave says that he hasn't got a minute to himself since retirement-we forgot to tell him that!!!
      johnc

      Delete
  2. I actually like using a lamp to paint for that reason, its like photographs, they show all the glaring errors our rose tinted glasses missed...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Herky,good to hear from you,the lamp will be put to good use shortly as I have ordered a "boat load" of 15mm Romans!!
      johnc

      Delete