Wednesday 10 March 2021

3D printed warehouse


I’m currently enthused with the Back of Beyond. In particular, 1920s China; the warlord era. I can recommend the Osprey book as a good and cheap introduction to the subject. 

I’ve printed and painted a few small pieces of suitable scatter terrain to help set the scene.


Browsing thingiverse for anything useful I came across several files for Victorian London buildings. I rather liked this warehouse and could picture it with Chinese features


I tried to add Chinese window grills to the 3D file but it wouldn’t have it. Think it was just too fine for the printer to handle it reduced to the size I wanted. So the model was printed without alterations 

It is a really nice model. As it’s digitally designed the pieces go together well. However I wasn’t happy with the wall texture


I can imagine perhaps applying glue and sprinkling sand on the walls. I’ve seen Adrian’s Walls doing that with mdf buildings. I applied a rough render of watered down Polyfilla

The build was straightforward. I added a base to the warehouse as I wanted a door ajar and a base just makes the model robust and you can add little bits of interesting groundwork to a base


I pinched some images from http://majorthomasfoolery.blogspot.com/?m=1

From which I created a suitable sign and window grills for the warehouse. Just printed on paper and backed with card. The finished model... 





Pretty pleased with that! The 3D printing adventure continues. I will post again when the armoured train is complete. It’s on a siding so to say whilst I decide what track to use. 

All the best

Chris



8 comments:

  1. Looks great Chris....I could do with some 20mm WW2 buildings....hmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just let me know mate. If you find the files, I’ll happily print the models for you

      Delete
  2. Bloody hell Chris,are in league with the devil? absolutely great!-with a red tiled roof that building would pass as a Spanish building for the Peninsular War.
    johnc

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha the model could fit into several settings with the right paint job and accessories. Surely Paul has a monopoly on the Devil. Only explanation of his dice rolling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice. Like that a lot. This 3D printing certainly offers some lovely stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Steve. 3D printing is very exciting. I’m only limited by my limited imagination ;-)

      Delete
  5. Chris-what's Dave up to,wanting 20mm WW2 buildings???
    johnc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 20mm...? That is new. You’re right. Now I’m curious too

      Delete