Thursday 18 March 2021

Zamburaks (camel guns!)



 During lockdown I’ve rediscovered my passion for the Indian Mutiny. Ignited by the wonderful figures sold by Empress Miniatures, I have embraced miniatures from various other manufacturers; Foundry, Old Glory, Mutineer Miniatures, Eureka and Indus.  

Solo action

Bhopal Contingent see off charging Ghazi fanatics 

Bombay Horse Artillery 

Mysorean rockets!

I was really pleased to make sufficient progress to get the figures out on the table. A defeat for the British! (I blame their commander!)

Quite often my approach to a period is to build a generic collection. However for the Indian Mutiny, I was drawn towards Sir Hugh Rose’s campaign in Central India, 1858. There is a healthy amount of information on both sides’ forces. 

Just one of the books which was a mine of information. The Rani of Jhansi was one of the main protagonists in the campaign. 

The Hyderabad Contingent was a large part of Sir Hugh’s Central India Field Force. The Nizam of Hyderabad, in demonstration of his loyalty to Britain, provided infantry, cavalry and artillery. I was content to represent the contingent’s infantry and cavalry. Mutineer even make cavalry specifically for the Hyderabad Contingent. I knew that camel gunners were attached to the cavalry...


... but nobody makes a suitable model. No matter. Then in steps my friend Roger Castle offering me a couple of spare Indian cavalry figures. The striking feature of these two figures is that their turban is secured under their chin, just like the Hyderabad Contingent camel gunners. I shall have camel gunners!

So what I want to represent...

And what I have available as a starting point...

Foundry’s camel gunners sculpted decades ago by the Perrys, but still a nice piece. There are so few Zamburaks out there. Not surprising really as it has little combat value. 

To the man cave!


Starting point; the Foundry camel guns and the spare horsemen from Roger. Also Foundry. I wanted to do as little conversion as possible. A head swap wouldn’t do as the camel gunners are wearing nothing like the Hyderabad Contingent gunners shown in the painting. The camel gunners were therefore relegated to the bitz box and it would be a case of making the horsemen look comfortable on a camel. They are wearing a similar coat to the gunners in the painting and the turban is spot on. 


With his legs removed the horseman sits reasonably well on his new mount. Reminds me of the old Airfix arab camelry. 


The original weapon is at top. Doesn’t really look like the large calibre musket in the painting. So two Trent Miniatures jingals are considered. I go with the bottom version as it looks meaty!


The new component parts. The legs have been reattached in what I imagine is a more suitable camel riding position. I’m no expert, but it looks good even if it’s not right. The legs have been scraped so that I can paint boots on and the knees rebuilt with green stuff modelling putty. 



They sit well enough and look good to me. A fair representation. I could have remodelled bits on the camel, but I hadn’t wanted it to be anything other than a minor conversion project. I certainly don’t strive for perfection!

The finished article...



Pleased with those. Always satisfying to have something unique lol!

All the best 

Chris




6 comments:

  1. Absolutely cracking blog and conversions!-more please(I'm running out of ideas to keep readers interested!) It may be worthwhile looking at Warrior's WW1 Palestinian range or their Beau Geste range for camel riders!
    johnc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers John. I quite like this bloggin’ lark. I’ll happily post some of my hobby goings on :-)

      Delete
  2. These look splendid John.
    Have you seen the images of the camel-mounted artillery? I want to do a figure or two of them; in time...
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello James,this blog is by our mate Chris,who "dabbles" in lots of obscure but interesting periods,I'm sure he'll be pleased that you liked his blog/figures.
      johnc

      Delete
    2. Hi James. I am delighted! These zamburaks are indeed mobile light artillery. I’ve gone for large calibre muskets/jingals but could mount the equivalent of a naval swivel gun. 1 or 2 pdr I guess? Cheers, Chris

      Delete