Friday 26 March 2021

Bloody Marvellous!

That's the only way to describe the game that Paul and I had yesterday!! Carthaginians vs Romans is always a good "tussle" but to actually play against Paul (the demon Numidian light cavalry commander!) was a real treat.

This is the terrain map that was delivered to Paul a few days before the game,so he could plan his "ambush"-he had to have some troops at all the marked positions(A,B,C etc)


Top photo is my army in position,bottom is the formidable army that Paul had,ready to be put in their ambush positions!

As I advanced into "The Valley of Death" Paul exposed some Spanish troops on my left flank and blocked my way with Spanish and Carthaginian cavalry-I only hope he doesn't put something in my rear(oo,er missus!)


But,of course, he did!! forcing me to try and form up(top photo),then the Elephants appeared to attack my leading Hastati,whilst the Spanish infantry attacked my flank,and a grand cavalry battle was also instigated_has the man no mercy!!!(NO!)-I was in all kinds of trouble but my plan was to try and form a massive two legion square......................



Top photo shows my attempt to form the square,bottom photo shows the Elephant battle,which I eventually won,sending them crashing into the back of the on-going cavalry melee-great stuff!!


This shows my second(rear) Legion being attacked by a combination of Numidian cavalry,skirmish troops(javelins and slings) plus the dreaded Gallic infantry(who didn't do that well-hurrah!) but I still hadn't fully formed my square,and was wondering where the Elite African infantry would appear!


Top photo shows my rear legion being "broken" by the Gauls and light troops,bottom photo shows the Africans appearing on the same flank as the Spanish-this was the only tactical error that Paul made in the whole game-he had no room to manoeuvre his Africans,but,as it happens, they weren't really needed-I was lost!-only one order for the Romans now-"BREAK OUT!!


These two final photo's show how my attempt to "BREAK OUT" was thwarted by Paul's cavalry,in the top photo,and his Gauls etc in the bottom photo!!

By any standards this was a great game,but to actually have an opponent was even greater! We,hopefully, will be playing again next week!



























































8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Cheers Robbie,hope uou're ok-was talking to Charlie last week,he's fed up with being inside,but is well!
      johnc

      Delete
    2. I was just reading an article about Charlie today. Well written. Well you put yourself in a pickle there John. Of course Paul seems to have played a blinder. I’ve always loved the hotch potch nature of the Carthaginian army. Makes for a flexible opponent. And even for an experienced general with a fine Roman army, a tough opponent. Great looking game and really pleased that at least on Thursday, you didn’t have to play with yourself ;-P

      Delete
    3. Ha!-I,of course, just let Paul win!!
      An absolute "corker" of a game-looking forward to next week-possibly ECW.
      Paul showed me the photo of the pro-painted figures-name and shame I say!!
      johnc

      Delete
    4. ‘Pro’ painted figures fixed and ready for battle. Least said...
      I can’t wait to see how your rematch goes

      Delete
    5. Chris,you're one cool dude about those figures-good on you!_as for re-match,it is definitely ECW,Paul is Royalist,and in a good defensive position.cheers.
      johnc

      Delete
  2. Great looking game John! Hiw was Paul's dice throwing? Was it a bit rusty? Hopefully see you very soon for a garden meet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave,can't wait for "garden meet" and so much to look at and discuss.As for Paul's dice throwing-he killed most of my officers-so what's new???
      johnc

      Delete