Monday 25 February 2019

Battle of Bradun 119AD.

Talk about a game of two halves!!!-last night's game was certainly that.As Dave had "hoyed a sickie" it fell to Graham and I vs Brian and Paul....................


Top photo is the scenario,bottom is the table before any movement.
Brian and Paul commanded the Romans whilst Graham and I commanded the Britons-all was set for another epic game(of two halves,as you will see!)


Top photo shows Graham's ferocious advance against the Legion,which Paul is still manoeuvering into position,bottom photo shows Brian's charge against the "town" defended by the King and his "Hearth Troops"-so far so good(??)

To break up Graham's attack,Paul has formed the Legion into a chequer-board formation-who's a clever boy then??

Well, not so clever now,because Paul lost every single melee!!-he must have fallen out with the Devil,who normally makes sure that he throws high and kills officers like they are going out of fashion!!

On my flank,Brian is advancing his auxiliaries,but I didn't wait to be caught,instead I attacked across the river,and won every melee(now that is a surprise!!)-the Romans were in trouble,but what of the "town" melee??

Ah,well, some dismal dice throwing from me(so what's new?) saw Brian's Marines break down the "town" gate and started to give the "Hearth Troops" a right old bashing!!-is this the start of the second half??-you bet it was!

In the centre and on the far right flank,Graham is being held by the Cohorts(ooh can be very painful that!!) and the Romans are gradually pushing the Warbands back-about time you put your commander in chief into the fight to save the day!!!!(you just know what's coming don't you?)

Well,Graham did put his C-in-C into the fight,got him killed,and the warbands decided to re-evaluate their positions,and,well,not to put it too delicately,pissed off!!!!!
At this point Brian started to laugh and "guffaw" like a LOON,which does count for gloating,which is not tolerated in our club!!

Brian's Marines are burning the "town",so technically,the game is over,but not before my remaining warbands are getting a good old bashing from Brian's other auxiliaries-oh dear!


We are not running away,we are retiring(it's good being retired!)
What a good game this was,Graham and I thought we had won it by about move number 7,but by move number 10,we had lost it(some would say we had lost it a long time ago!!)
Roll on next week,if Dave is not too contagious we will be playing in his new wargaming room,and hopefully we will be playing an ACW game.

















































11 comments:

  1. At most times I am Mr mellow but sometimes its all too much for me !!!!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they call you mellow yellow,that's right slim!!!(Donovan 1960's/1970's)
      Mr Mellow? Smello more like!!
      johnc

      Delete
  2. Cracking game report. Dave's wargames table's inaugural game! How exciting. Take it easy, Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris,hope he's ok by next week,it's about time I had a break!!
      johnc

      Delete
    2. Can anyone else meet your high standards though?! Reckon this is easily another scenario I'll be half inching 😉

      Delete
    3. Chris,Dave's standards will be on par,I'm sure.-Pinch away-I'll be flattered!
      johnc

      Delete
  3. Hi John c,
    A great game again with an exciting swing in fortunes. I did note the presence of some of the very well priced Warrior Celts - a very kind family member purchased an army of Celts from Warrior as a xmas present (and what a bargain at £40!) These will get my full attention in a month or so. What other range of figures did you use in building your units? I am thinking about using some of the Warrior Gauls and the Irregular Miniatures range to give me some variety. Cheers David P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DavidP-except the Warrior figures,all of the other figures on the board are cast-your-own Prince August-an inexpensive way to create vast armies-look at their web site,you'll be amazed!
      johnc

      Delete
    2. DavidP-I tell a lie!!-there are some Lancashire games and plastic auxiliaries in there too-bloody Geordies-couldn't lie straight in their beds!!!!
      johnc

      Delete
    3. John c, I have just taken a look as you recommend and was quite surprised by the range of moulds produced by PA. The " fairies" range was an unexpected find - I must have a unit! The idea of casting soldiers takes me back to the time when I used to cast lead seafishing weights in the kitchen on the gas cooker - I was eventually stopped by the boss. I was impressed by the Roman Legionary poses. Many thanks for the info. DavidP

      Delete
    4. DavidP-glad to help,your reference to the "boss" I take it is the WIFE!!!-they just don't understand do they?
      johnc

      Delete