Friday 22 March 2019

Club Up-date.

There's quite a lot going on at the moment,various members doing various things,and "dabbling" in new periods etc. so I thought an up-date might be interesting(?)

Dave and Paul have sent another batch of Napoleonic figures off to Sri Lanka for painting,and have recently got a batch back and most of them based,here are some of Paul's British..........


Top photo is Rifles on skirmish bases,bottom is a brigade,including Scots, of line infantry-very nicely painted and presented,however,between Graham,Paul and Dave,they have more than enough to stage a massive Napoleonic game-but when????(come on Boys!)

I spent most of my life's savings and most of my pension,on buying river sections from Last Valley,and to be honest,I am disappointed !!-the sections are too small(length-wise) for my liking,and because I use a table covering in my games,the slightest "bump" or "ripple" in the table cover results in a most unsightly river imaginable!!-So,to remedy this,as can be seen from the above photo, I have stuck two and three sections onto card(even more expense!) and this has,up to a certain extent,solved the problem.I think the real problem lies in the fact that the sections are made of thin MDF-maybe thicker would be better,however if your board is perfectly flat,you probably won't have the same problem as I have!!



I needed(wanted?) some Lancers for early Sudanese campaigns,and Zulu battles,so I sent away to Warrior Miniatures,and they duly arrived in the usual double quick time,along with some infantry, I have painted the Lancers as the 16th (Queen's Own Red Jackets) as best as I could,and am quite pleased with the way they look.


Top photo shows my attempt at the "Black Watch" with kilts made from wine bottle foil!
Bottom photo shows,again my attempt at Marines(to complement Brian's Naval Brigade) both Infantry to go against Egyptians or Dervishers!
What I really wanted(needed?) was a unit of Heavy cavalry,but Warrior don't make such a figure-as if that was going to stop me!!!!!I sent for 12 Lancer figures,with a request for 12 or so broadswords from John Holt's Jacobite range,they arrived and a very simple and quick conversion job followed.........................



Top-Lancer as sold,middle-Lancer with lance snipped off,bottom-Lancer with sword stuck onto hand!!!-modelling and conversion at its very best!!!

Just waiting to be painted..........................



I am pleased with the finished result-now just watch out you "Fuzzy-Wuzzies!!"
Brian has just received a brigade of Egyptians from Perry Miniatures,which he will be bringing up on Sunday,for me to photograph,and I think that this may be the start of a larger army!
Dave has gone completely "beserk" and has bought an authentic antique (but de-activated) Martini Henry rifle c/w bayonet-it is awsome,and will be put on the blog next Sunday,when we will be running through our Rorke's Drift game for Falkirk.
































16 comments:

  1. Brilliant conversion work and painting. Well done. Plenty going on it seems at the WHWGC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mike,glad you liked them-my eyes are slowly deteriorating due to Glaucoma and cataracts,so I'm painting up what I can when I can!!
      johnc

      Delete
  2. Johnc - the colonials look first rate with a nice paint job. You cannot match Warrior in terms of value for money. I am close to finishing the painting of both Jacobite and Government forces to wargame the "45" and used Warrior figures with some Cranntara to fill in some gaps - it has worked very well.


    DavidP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi DavidP,glad you like them-Warrior figures are really underated-I have been using them since the late 70's,fantastic value!
      I also have lots of Scots,and we fight the earlier "rebellion"
      johnc

      Delete
    2. Yes Johnc, I owe you a belated thank you because when researching the Jacobite wargame I googled Warrior Jacobites and came across your blog for the first time and seeing them painted in units on a table convinced me that they were the ideal figures for my project.
      I must say that your painting stands up to scrutiny far better than mine did prior to the removal of cataracts. I have a large number of AWI figures that were painted 3 or 4 years ago and they continue to cause me stress - I must have used a 5 inch emulsion brush!!! I have repainted some and hopefully get around to doing them all in time.
      DavidP

      Delete
    3. HI DavidP-my next step for painting will be a "ROLLER!"-inspiration is a wonderful thing for us wargamers-tartan is a bit of a pain though isn't it?
      johnc

      Delete
    4. Hi Johnc - yes, tartan is a real pain to paint and I have finished about 130 Highlanders so far. Thankfully, I also had some French and Lowlanders to paint which provided me with some variety.
      DavidP

      Delete
    5. DavidP-sounds good,and very productive! are you in a club that does club projects?
      cheers,johnc

      Delete
    6. Johnc - unfortunately I am a bit of a lone wolf, as my local club is dominated by Bolt Action and Scfi. Not having regular opponents I solo game, or treat my two sons to an evening of historical military mayhem. I also have a 6 year old Grandson who shows great promise with his 54mm plastics that I have painted for him. All of this means that I paint both sides of a conflict.
      DavidP

      Delete
    7. DavidP-solo can be fun/entertaining,I've tried all periods,but favour Ancients-no real planning,just "kick and rush",but I enjoy the club games more-banter etc. etc.
      johnc

      Delete
  3. The Lancers look splendid. Warrior sell them as 25mm but are they nearer 28mm?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahoy,Maudlin Jack Tar,thanks for reading my blog-Warrior figures are true 25mm for most ranges,which include the Colonial Range-fantastic value too.
      Keep reading and commenting-many thanks,
      johnc(william)

      Delete
    2. Cheers for that. Warrior are great value - I recently bought some 20mm ECW figures from them that are lovely figures and very good value. Just need to paint them now.

      Delete
    3. Ahoy,again,Maudlin Jack Tar,I haven't seen Warrior's 20mm ECW figures-an ideal size for large armies,cheers
      johnc(william)

      Delete
  4. Im surprised at you John. Lat Valley and cheap and I often think the quality is hitty missy.I made my river from cheap plastic tiling bought at the pound shop. The tiles were a blue and rippled. They are very pliable and when played about with using caulking come out as decent river sections.Lovely colonials by the way. I actually thought they were Pax Britannica figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Robbie,I will stick with the Last Valley sections(mainly because I've invested too much in them not to!!)but will have to come up with a fool-proof method to stop them slipping and rippling-thanks for kind comments-you're up to something!!
      johnc

      Delete