Monday 8 April 2019

Battle of Uxbridge 1070AD.

Last night saw the "Fab Four" (Dave couldn't make it!) fight this tense and interesting game,pitting Vikings/Saxons against Normans.

This is the scenario-Paul and I were the Saxon/Viking commanders,whilst Brian and Graham were the Normans...............I had planned a couple of options available to each side...........


As Saxon commander,I chose to take my option of losing a heavy infantry unit,but gaining two lengths of "stakes" to protect my left flank-this worked a treat!!
Graham,as Norman vanguard,decided not to take up his option,of losing a heavy cavalry unit for a light skirmish cavalry unit,but Brian did take up his option and lost a heavy cavalry unit for a mercenary Viking infantry one.

Brian is contemplating his moves-most of his infantry were light,and would be at a dis-advantage against the Vikings in the first round of melee,so he had to tread carefully!

The dreaded stakes,preventing Graham's cavalry from gaining the flank!-I've just thought of a title for a new film-Stakes on a plain!!(groan!!)

Paul is moving his Vikings against Brian's combination of cavalry and light infantry on our right flank.

With his cavalry thwarted by the stakes,Graham is moving his infantry against the town,and the centre-this looked spectacular!!


The inevitable clashes in the centre and right flank-both Paul and I had ordered our troops to form a "shield wall" which was effective,making the Normans fight at -1 from their dice throws.
Brian actually did quite well against the heavier Vikings,but then the "demon dice thrower known as PAUL, started to throw high and killed officer after officer,and the Normans under Brian's control started to retire(it's good being retired!)
However in the centre(under my control) wasn't doing too well-well now there's a surprise!!

Graham's attack against the town,saw him gaining ground against my Saxons,but I reinforced the town troops and began to push him back-hurrah!!


Top photo shows Paul's domination of the flank,with Brian in full retreat,bottom photo shows the Normans in the centre also going backwards!!
Graham then "double-guessed" my out-flanking move,through the stakes,and charged my heavy infantry as they formed up!!!.....................

This was a hollow victory for the cavalry,as the town was still in Saxon hands,and the centre and right was in Viking hands,and a victory was declared for the Saxon/Vikings-hurrah!!
Once again,a great game,long may they continue!
Roll on next Sunday,probably a Marlburian battle.

The "new look" me-handsome and distinguished-actually I just can't be arsed to get a shave!!!
Roll on next week.











































2 comments:

  1. Great looking game. I like the options at the start - the stakes were a good choice, especially after a blessing from the Bishop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahoy Maudlin Jack Tar-I always try to introduce some kind of problem in the games,there was alot of comments about "bashing the Bishop" but I didn't know what they were talking about!!
      johnc

      Delete