Monday 22 April 2019

Napoleonic game at Dave's luxurious venue!

Last night Dave hosted a very well thought out and interesting game,that went right down to the wire!!
A Prusso/Russian army,was marching to Paris,and the French,under Napoleon himself, had to cut the road they were marching on,to win the game-simple but intriguing-marvellous stuff!


Two views of the table,Brian and Paul commanded the Prussians and Russians respectively,whilst Dave and I took command of the French-all was set for a cracking game.

In this shot,Paul has instigated a cavalry melee,against my elite Mamalukes and Guard Chasseurs-the man's a fool!!!-however it must be said,he did quite well against my elites(in other words he gave them a right old "hiding!")-but dice throwing can change a lot in a game,and later on I managed to give him a right old "hiding"-wonderful wargaming!!

On the other flank,Paul and Brian were too busy holding hands to get themselves sorted out!!
Meanwhile Dave launched a tremendous attack against Brian's Prussians-things are looking good(but we all know what can happen in a game!!)

This is the on-going cavalry melee,on my flank.I am moving my infantry forward to take control of the field to ,my front-Paul is doing the same though-this will be tight!

Brian and Dave have moved to within musket range,and a tremendous exchange of fire took place-however Dave was getting the worst of it,and to save an"adverse morale situation" he put his Brigadier into the front line-and guess what??-yes,he got him killed,resulting in the whole brigade taking a morale test,resulting in the whole lot quitting the board,and heading back to Paris!!!!!-send in the Guard,Dave!!

Hurrah,a lovely sight,with drums beating and colours flying the Guard step forward-only to be met with more tremendous dice throwing from Brian!!-who also sent them "packing"-oh dear,how sad,never mind!!-I suppose I will have to win the game by myself!!!!!


Taking heart from Brian's success,Paul renewed the attack on the field with vigour,only to be repulsed(but not until after he had given me an anxious time of it!!)-now, if I can only get rid of his cavalry............................

A volley from my Swiss square saw to that!!-however Paul still had some spare cavalry available,so he decided to send them down the middle and attack Dave's gun position-does the man not know when he is beat!!!!????

Undaunted,Dave also put in an attack against Brian's gun position,was met with cavalry,and slaughtered-the same as Paul's cavalry attack-I'm getting worn out just remembering all the action!!!
Dave had to admit defeat on his flank(well,you've got to when you've no troops left!!) but my infantry were holding the field and were within a whisker of cutting the road,so the French were declared the winners-hurrah!!

This was a great game,well done Dave(and the rest of us)-roll on next week,a Sudanese type game,featuring Brian's newly painted Egyptians and Naval Brigade.






































10 comments:

  1. Honoured to be the first to comment here. A fine set of photos and an excellent looking game.

    Are your rules available to other gamers in any form? I would be most interested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Keith-It is us that should be honoured,that you read our blog.
      This is going to sound really weird,but we don't have anything written down on our rules,however,I have been asked in the past if I could at least write a condensed version,so over the next few weeks,I will try and convey,in a blog,what we do and how we play-as a matter of interest,we use the same rules for all periods,just change weapon ranges etc. to suit!!
      cheers,johnc(william)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Hi MJT,thanks for comment-I have just looked up what Maudlin means-you're mad!!-I'll have to change my name to Rum-soaked old sod!!
      cheers,johnc

      Delete
  3. One word to sum up - fantastic! Well done the Westerhope Group and a great write up as usual, Johnc.
    DavidP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DavidP-god to hear from you,and thanks for the comment-keep them coming!
      johnc

      Delete
  4. And don't forget more colonial action on 5th May. Italians vs Abyssinians :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris,yes we are looking forward to it,give me a ring to finalise arrangements.
      johnc

      Delete
  5. I now understand what the dinosaur image means: comment not sent! Previous comment was simple fabulous battle report. Yes I'll ring you about 5th. Cheers Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris,as you know,I am easily confused,but I am now totally confused!!
      Where's the rum!!!!
      johnc

      Delete