Sunday 10 November 2019

15mm solo English Civil War game.

I played the following game,using my 15mm ECW figures,on Friday,and thoroughly enjoyed it! I took my time,and planned what I wanted to achieve from the game,used my tried and tested very simple solo rules,and got a result-what more could you ask for?


Top photo shows the lay-out,with the town of Brockwell,in the centre being held by Royalist troops,who are also defending the surrounding area.
The bottom photo shows the initial assault by the Parliamentarians,who I had planned to pin the town troops and make an out-flanking sweep,with their right flank troops,eventually to drive the Royalists out of the town,and drive them away altogether!!

This shows the out-flanking troops,heading towards the Royalist left flank,which was lightly held!!

Rupert's and Hopton's regiments held the town,and with the benefit of cover,were giving the attackers a bit of a rough ride!!-other regiments were also getting involved,in what was turning into a very entertaining game!

In this shot,Maurice's horse are taking on Cromwell's horse-the simple expedient of throwing a dice each,and the highest score wins-resulted in this instance of Cromwell's horse receiving a "red dot" against them(on a wipe board-see later photo!)-two "red dots" would result in a minus one from their dice score,and three "dots" would mean the unit leaving the board!!-very simple and brutal,but a result !!


Top photo shows the "out-flankers" about to get to grips with Newcastle and Percy's regiments,whilst the battle for the town "hots up"-this,to me ,was thrilling stuff!!

Under intense pressure(and three "red dots") Hopton's regiment has gone!!-and the Parliamentarians have gained access to the town-BUT,they were fired on,losing their officer,which put them on 3 "dots"-resulting in them leaving the board-the town is saved!!

Newcastle and Percy's white coats are taking a right old pounding,but Royalist reserves are moving up,and the flank is saved,as well as the town-by this move I was exhausted!!!

This is the final shot of the board-the Parliamentarians have "shot their bolt" so to speak,whilst the Royalists have fresh troops,and still control the town-so a victory for them!!

This is the white board,showing the state of the various regiments-remember that 3 "red dots" results in that unit leaving the board-at the end of the game the Royalists lost 4 units while the Parliamentarians lost 8-a resounding result.
It became obvious that I need more cavalry and guns,but the game was a real success to me,the only problem(if you can call it a problem) was remembering whose turn it was to move!!!
I will be playing future games,adding more to the simple rules,such as elite type units,morale features etc.



































































































































4 comments:

  1. Great stuff, John. We should all have a go at solo play more often (I'm avoiding the obvious innuendo!). I don't get to play nearly as often as I like, but get ample painting time. I can easily give up a bit of painting to play more. That is the main bit of the hobby for me after all
    Cheers
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris,the best part of solo play is,I get to win!!!
      Seriously,I did enjoy the game,and intend to get more of the same in the near future.
      johnc

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Ahoy matey,I am working on further bits of terrain etc,to make the next game look even better!!-where are you based?
      johnc

      Delete