Monday 8 June 2020

Solo games,Colonial,Medieval.

I have been filling in my time,in between gardening,tidying and queuing for food(which,in my book,includes RUM!!) by having a few solo wargames- I have mentioned before that I enjoy these games but miss the club games and the social contact,daft banter,devious tactics and,dare I say it, the "boys".
I am posting a selection of photo's from the last two games I have had,with just a minimal text(the noun not the verb!!)



These three photo's show the Colonial scenario,the British left and right flanks-quite a formidable force,but so was the opposition!!


Oh dear,there's quite a few of them! and they're getting closer!!!


Surely artillery fire and volley fire would stop them! My plan for the British depended on my Lancers beating the Haddendowah Camel unit-they didn't,and my whole battle plan fell apart!!
It would now depend on British "pluck" and some lucky dice throws!!

Dragoon Guards are seen beating the Dervish Cavalry-this put the enemy left flank in real trouble,and saved the game for the British-hurrah!

On the British left flank,even the Egyptians got involved(after the Gatling jammed!!)
Eventually the Bija/Haddendowah troops had to retire(it's good being retired!)  and a British victory was declared(but really too close for comfort!)

"Dead" figures litter the ground,showing the high tide of the Haddendowah advance-this was another thrilling but mentally exhausting game.
The next game,Crusaders vs Saracens,employed virtually the same terrain and scenario-well,I was mentally exhausted!!!



Scenario,Crusaders leaving the Castle and Saracens advancing to form up.


All formed up,horse archers and crossbowmen skirmishing-this might be bloody!!


Top photo shows the view that the crossbowmen had,bottom photo shows the view the Mameluke contingent had-they had two units-both lost their officers in the first round of melee!!


With an almost audible "crash!" both flanks of heavy cavalry charged into each other-this looked spectacular!


For three rounds of melee,neither side could claim an outright advantage-then the dreaded morale test kicked in,and in proper wargaming twists and turns,units on both sides decided they had had enough..................................


Both lines have become fragmented,with units fleeing the field,being chased and chaos reigns!
It was now that the Saracen horse archers could decide the day-if they could break through the crossbowmen,they could swing left and right and destroy the Crusaders-but could they do it??

YES!!! they could and did,winning the game for the Saracens.
Another good game,full of twists and turns,good and bad dice throws-exactly what a wargame should be(?)
I haven't thought what my next game will be(I just wish it could be a club game!)

















































































































































































10 comments:

  1. Two fun looking games John, supported by Rum presumably...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MJT-You presume correctly!!-the games were fun,and will have to do until the "madness" passes-hope you are well,cheers
      johnc

      Delete
  2. Great looking game. Strange times indeed! Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alan,you can say that again!! It would be interesting to hear what other "gamers" are getting up to during this trying time!
      johnc

      Delete
  3. Im impressed John, its a lovely set up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robbie,what ever it is you're after,I haven't got any!!!-stop being nice,it's unsettling.
      Hope you're ok,cheers.
      johnc

      Delete
  4. Couple of nice set piece battles. Plenty of action. I actually won my solo game at the weekend. Whoop, whoop. Cheers Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris,how can you not win a solo game??
      If I'm getting beaten,I just change sides-simples!!
      johnc

      Delete
    2. Well when the 'baddies' were doing well in my game I did get confused as to which side I was on :-P I have been painting a good deal and playing a solo game each weekend. I've rediscovered the Indian Mutiny. That was the first large collection I had back in the 90s. There have been a LOT of online purchases. That's my lockdown gaming in a nutshell. Take care, Chris

      Delete