Wednesday 28 April 2021

Here be Monsters!

 Ok that sounds like I’m about to launch into a pirate post. Nope, this is actually related to the Back of Beyond 1920s China collection I’m building. These monsters are dinosaurs! Or more to the point, fossils. 


I’ve taken my inspiration from my friends that run Legendary Wargames. One of their regular clients brings his children along (Madness!). And whilst he forms square to receive a Mahdist charge, his children are scouring the Sudan for clues to hidden treasure. In essence there is a sub-plot. I quite like sub-plots. Usually they provide extra laughs. Even for us large children. 


The palaeontologist and his faithful assistant stand ready to enjoy a sub-plot. Or fall foul of bandits. Or buy the protection of the local warlord. You get the idea!




The hill and this fossil benefit from my 3D printing. Files for both fossils were downloaded free from the internet. Ain’t technology marvellous!

The hill is cut from that dense pink foam. First time I’ve tried this. Once I’d shaped the foam and slotted in the print of the fossil, I applied fine and coarse sand with pva glue. Then just painted the whole thing using the same colours as I’m painting the bases for my Back of Beyond figures: Colour Party ECW buff with a dry brush of their sand. It’s come out ok.

The fossils are all painted with the same simple palette as of course fossils are rocks not bones.  




The palaeontologist, his buddy and these fossils are from Copplestone Miniatures. The blokes are mostly painted using GW’s new-ish Contrast paints. I’m really enjoying using these paints. It’s so blinkin’ quick n easy!

At the same time, I’ve painted a couple of pack camels for Back of Beyond. Like the palaeontologist, not essential for a game, but baggage can be useful to a scenario. These were mostly painted using Contrast paints, but also a bit of block painting, washing and dry brushing. Got to use ALL the techniques!

I block painted the camels a buff colour then applied a heavy coat of the Contrast brown. It’s a very strong colour. Before it dried, I gently wiped it off with a cloth so as not to remove all of it. The brown is left in the creases and still tints the upper surfaces. I’ve never tried oil paint on horses. That’s the same idea. Block paint the horse. Paint on the dark oil paint and wipe it off. I know it works really well and this gave a very similar look. The camels were finished with a dry brushing. 



I really like that last photo lol!

Hope you’ve enjoyed reading. A bit different, but different is good right?

Cheers

Chris 


3 comments:

  1. Chris,couldn't agree more-different is good-variety is definitely the spice of life-keep doing articles for the blog-love the shadows-long live flash!
    johnc

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stuff Chris. I love interesting themes and clutter which bring a battlefield layout to life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers guys. Really enjoying my painting at the moment and just wandering between periods. Printing/building/painting just whatever captures my imagination

    ReplyDelete