Tuesday 15 January 2019

A Bridge Too Far?

I blame Dave for this latest project!!-on Sunday he brought up his "Custom-made" bridges,which were 80mm wide.I have had three bridges for about 100 years,and have always found them far too narrow for my bases,so decided to do something about them..................


Top photo shows one of my bridges,in a beautiful scenic setting,just ready for me to march an infantry regiment across it-bottom photo shows the regiment balancing and teetering on the too narrow balustrades!!-big problem,but in my world there are no such things as problems-only solutions!!
So what could I do??

Using only these tools,and a bit of ingenuity, I would widen the bridge(made of resin) to fit my bases.


Having first drawn a line up the middle of the bridge,I got to work with my trusty hacksaw,as shown in top photo-bottom photo shows the two halves,after about ten minutes of sawing.
What these photo's don't show is the range of safety equipment I was wearing,ie. hard hat,goggles,gauntlets and steel-capped safety boots!!!!!!!(liar)


After measuring a piece of cardboard(80mm wide,naturally!) I placed it onto the bridge,ready for sticking with UHU glue(other makes of glue are available!!)

Stuck and ready to be tested................................


Now that looks better!!
I applied the same method to the other two bridges,gave them a "lick" of paint,and hey presto,wide bridges!!

All three ready to go-guess what will feature in Sunday's game???
Any comments?




























6 comments:

  1. Good idea and application, the bases look much nicer sitting 'in' the bridge. I did something similar last year .... only in reverse, making a stupidly wide MDF bride, somewhat narrower (but still wide enough)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Norm-thanks for your comment-we wargamers are an enterprising lot-keep commenting and reading,
      johnc(william)

      Delete
  2. Great work... I should think that Hovels resin was pretty tough to cut through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello again,Mike-I was surprised how easily the resin was cut through,using the hacksaw!
      Glad you liked the finished article(s)
      johnc

      Delete
  3. John you are a man of action. I have been meaning to do this to my bridges for ages now and still havent got around to it. Well done.

    ReplyDelete