Wednesday 30 January 2019

Solo ACW game.

Last night I had a most entertaining solo game using my 15mm Warrior figures.I used my very simple and fast solo rules based on the number of bases in a conflict times an average dice to inflict a "hit" on a unit,denoted by an orange mini "pom-pom"-once three hits are recorded a base is removed-very simple but effective)I think!)


Top photo shows everything I needed for the game-the "hit/miss" dice are for the artillery!
Bottom photo shows the fine defensive position I gave the Confederates,with reinforcements on their left.


Two shots of the Union attack-I used alternate moves and threw two dice to determine how many brigades/batteries I could move per move.
My plan was to attack frontally in the centre,then move around the "Rebs" left flank-simple,the objective was to capture the defensive position.

My brigades are attacking along the whole of the line,but the defensive position was to prove a "hard nut to crack!"

A view of the playing area from the Confederate side-all action-note the ever-increasing orange "pom-poms" on both sides!

A rash decision saw my leading brigade charge the wall,only to be flung back,after taking massive casualties-oh dear!

Despite the set-back at the wall,my out-flanking brigades are pushing onto the "Rebs" flank and guns-this flank also proved to be a "hard nut to crack!!"

A general shot of the playing area-although I had 1/3rd more troops than the Confederates,I wasn't making as much headway as I thought I would,at this stage in the game.

Then................out-numbered and out-gunned,the Confederate left collapsed!!!-hurrah!


Two final shots,showing the desperate situation that the Confederates are in,hemmed in,and no chance of winning!
I really enjoyed this game,and will play another very soon,maybe incorporating cavalry.

































8 comments:

  1. As ever Im very impressed by your wargaming John and very enterprising.You must have stolen the ideas from someone surely?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robbie-ha!-talking about things being stolen,what about my replacement biscuit???
      Maybe a "Yorkie"-see what I did there?
      johnc

      Delete
  2. I like the Warrior ACW figures, as I have some - great price and good detail. Simple rules are great for solo games, as I often lose interest when using complex rule sets. I really like your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David P-I am a great fan of Warrior,as you probably guessed-I am firm believer that rules are there to "facilitate" the game not to take it over,many thanks for your comment.
      johnc(william)

      Delete
  3. Great stuff John. Maybe you could introduce some veteran troops. 4 pom poms to remove a base. You can hide from yourself which are the Reb veterans until you contact them. I love ACW
    Cheers
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris,any suggestions are taken on board!
      It was good to see you and the family at York.
      johnc

      Delete
    2. I'll get in touch soon about arranging a visit :-)

      Delete
    3. Chris,great,see you soon(?)
      johnc

      Delete