Monday 24 June 2019

English Civil War-Tommy's game.

On the 24th June 2013,our old mate and fellow wargamer Tommy Mclelland died,and I promised his daughter that every year,as close to the 24th as possible,we would hold a game in his memory-last night was Tommy's game.
I chose an English Civil War game,and with 4 of us present,we chose sides and away we went!

I was Essex,Brian was Charles,Graham was Cromwell,and Paul was Rupert.
I had instructed everyone to observe the troops they commanded,formulate a proper plan,move their troops to their positions,and way we would go!!-the only exception to this was Brian/Charles command who could be in position,within the town,to start the game.


My attack on the town(and the King!) commences-I noticed that Brian's support troops were very close to his front line troops,and gambled that if I could get him to melee,and beat him,His supports would be "compromised"-this actually worked(there's always a first for everything!)

We have all wargamed together for hundreds of years,and you get to know what some people will do when faced with a certain situation and certain troop types-Graham will always attempt to charge as soon as possible,when commanding Cavalry,and this he did last night!!-two things resulted:-1) he stopped Paul in his tracks-hurrah!
                 2) he lost his cavalry!!!-not hurrah!
But the main result was that the whole centre was held up and no infantry actually got into melee or a fire-fight!!!

Meanwhile,back in the town,I have instigated a "push of pike",and won the ensuing melee,pushing Brian back on his support troops-hurrah!!

Back in the centre,the cavalry "slugfest" is still going on,and on and on!!!!


In the town,things a looking desperate!-Brian now unleashed his elite cavalry across the stream and bridge-was this the master stroke,was he going to roll Graham's flank up??-NO!! he turned them a against my advancing infantry and cavalry!!-a furious melee developed,but that gave Graham time to bring his "Ironsides" troopers onto Brian's flank-hurrah,again!!

That says it all!!-what do you mean,you've lost your cavalry??-they're not lost-I know where they are-lying in heaps in front of your un-used infantry!!!!-Paul appears to have gone AWOL!!

One last shot(which is more than the Infantry did!!) showing the centre.Brian had capitulated in the town(well,they can't touch you for it!),and as that was the whole objective of the game,the Parliamentarians were declared the winners!!
This was another good game,full of banter,colour and foul language!
Roll on next Sunday,probably a Dervish game,incorporating Brian's newly painted Medical vignette,and his newly painted commanders!












































































































17 comments:

  1. Wonderful game, and a great idea... remembering your mate whilst having a blast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Springinsfeld-thanks for comment-we always enjoy our games,but last night was special.
      johnc

      Delete
  2. Its good to remember old friends!

    Every time I play X-Wing I remember Gavin, a short term member of our club, who sadly died (he had a heart transplant as a child, and got 10 years from the donor heart)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Herkybird,couldn't agree more-they say that you never die until there's no-one left to remember you!!
      johnc

      Delete
  3. Simply lovely John. Its great that you are using Warrior figures en masse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yo Robbie,thanks for kind comment(still think you're after something!!)-Warrior figures do look good!
      johnc

      Delete
  4. Another fine game gents - I thought I'd commented on the last game (especially good to see the biscuit box in that one) but clearly imagined it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MJT, imagination is usually brought about,in my world,by copious amounts of RUM!!
      Thanks for comment,
      johnc

      Delete
  5. Always good to honour fallen comrades and no better way than with a game and a toast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ross Mac,good to hear from you,and many thanks for the comment-Tommy was a character and loved his wargaming,so we will,as long as possible,remember him.
      johnc

      Delete
  6. A splendid game. Tommy would have loved it
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris,I would like to think that Tommy would have appreciated it-and we certainly enjoyed it.cheers.
      johnc

      Delete
  7. Hi Johnc,
    What a great way of remembering a mate and well done chaps. ECW is a great period to wargame and the Warrior figures look great reminding me of the photographs that accompanied a series of articles by Stuart Asquith in the Battle magazine many years ago ( showing my age here!). Have you ever used Charlie Wesencraft's set of rules for the period - I still use them regularly?
    David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Davidp-I will pass on your comments to Charlie,I'm sure it will bring a smile to his face-Charlie always says that the greatest accolade an author can have is when their book is stolen from a library-and Pike and Shot was stolen from Newcastle's Central Library making him very happy!!!
      johnc

      Delete
  8. Hi Johnc,
    First, I must clear up the matter of the stolen library book - it wasn't me, honest gov!!!
    Seriously, I would be delighted if you would pass my comments onto Charlie, as his books have given me much inspiration and pleasure over the years. I currently use his Seven Steps to Freedom rules to wargame the AWI and I believe that this set is outstanding.
    Regards David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Davidp-I'll probably speak to Charlie tonight,and I'll certainly pass on your comments.
      johnc

      Delete
    2. Davidp-I spoke to Charlie,and he was actually "chuffed" that someone still uses his Pike and Shot rules,and says "thankyou!"
      johnc

      Delete