Tuesday 30 July 2019

WW2 game at Dave's house.

Dave had to postpone this game from Sunday to last night,but it was well worth the wait!!
WW2 is not my "thing" but last night Paul and I commanded an American force,tasked with capturing a German high command Chateau,defended by Graham and Brian-and I quite enjoyed it!!!

This set the tone for the night! a raucous rendition of "Brian has only got one ....,the other is in the Albert Hall" was followed by  a torrent of abusive bad language from the man himself!!!


A grand shot from Brian,and two even grander shots from Graham,knocked out three of our column's vehicles,rendering the road impassable!!-what a good start! Paul and I had to take to the fields to avoid the burning tanks and half-tracks.

A half-track,don't they burn nicely??At the front of the column you can just see a Stewart tank burning nicely too!! But then things took a turn for the worse for Graham's contingent of tanks-he missed some sitting "ducks" with some horrendous dice throwing-hurrah!! allowing us to get into some good positions-this,mixed with some very lucky dice throws from me,caused the Germans to re-think their positions,and Graham started to retire,in text book fashion,however Brian was causing Paul all kinds of grief,from concealed positions!!


As Paul deploys an infantry platoon,I moved one of my Shermans up to support him against Brian's hidden/dug-in troops-lovely looking stuff!







Graham is looking worried,as well he might-more and more American troops and armour are "pouring " onto the board,and his positions on the hill are looking decidedly "dodgey"
Following Paul's advice,I started to move onto Graham's flank,forcing him to retire(it's good being retired!) however Brian was still giving Paul a hard time!!this was very tight indeed!

Brian is looking pleased with himself,he has effectively stopped Paul in his tracks(or is that half-tracks?-ha,ha, what a wit!!) Time for an infantry assault,I think.

Top (two????) photo's show my attempt at out-flanking Graham's position,but bottom photo shows my other deployed infantry being pinned by heavy machine gun fire(that's not fair!!)
The game still hung in the balance,until Brian and Paul had a duel of tanks,both knocking each other out,and Brian now had nothing left to defend the Chateau with,and Paul had tanks galore coming into play against his positions!!

One final shot of the American infantry sweeping across the central hill,and onwards to victory!
This was a very enjoyable(if confusing,to me) game which was endorsed by us all-well done to Dave!
Both Paul and Brian are unavailable next week(bloody holidays!!) so it will be up to Graham,Dave and I to play a Dacian vs Romann game.-roll on next Sunday.



















































































6 comments:

  1. Great report but got to say I can't see the attraction of gaming WW2 myself. Difficult to see the figures, dull, muddy and completely depressing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Springinsfeld,good to hear from you-I don't get the WW2 "buzz" either-you can't beat colour in an army,although the knowledge the lads have on tanks,artillery etc.etc. is fabulous and amazes me!!
      johnc

      Delete
  2. Looks fab! Glad you appreciated the 'modern' stuff :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yo Chris,I rerally don't understand the period,but appreciate the knowledge and tactics involved,give me a red-coated soldier fighting a Zulu,any day!!
      johnc

      Delete
  3. Lovely looking game as is to be expected. Clearly someone has been getting a loan out to pay for all that lovely terrain. I especially was heartened to see Gruppenfurher Brian in his element.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robbie,they say you get what you pay for-it certainly looks good-the lad is clearly "loaded".As for Brian,well,he takes the part too well me thinks!!
      johnc

      Delete