Monday 5 August 2019

Battle of San Sebastiano 1706.

Last night,as there was only three of us(Paul and Brian are sunning themselves in exotic places!) ie. Graham,Dave and I,I changed the planned game (Romans vs Dacians) to a smaller 18th century affair.

This is the scenario,I commanded the Spanish,Graham commanded the Austro/Dutch army and Dave commanded the British.

The Austrians had a hard task storming the town,and they suffered heavy casualties before they eventually drove my Spaniards out,who retired (it's good being retired!) back across the bridge and river.

Dave is surveying his British advancing against my left flank,who had been ordered to retire(it's good...) and draw the British onto my waiting infantry and cavalry-but, like all of my good plans,it didn't quite work out the way it should have!!
In the background you can see Graham's Dutch attacking the hill dominating the town.

Graham's attack was met with some furious volleys from my defending Spanish.

As my Spanish flee back across the bridge,Graham's Austrians stroll through the abandoned town.The rest of the table was ablaze with action,as you can see!

The inevitable cavalry clash!! I actually got the better of the melee,and drove the Dutch cavalry back-hurrah!!-this forced the Dutch infantry to adopt defensive formations-another hurrah!!

Dave's British have crested the ridge,and I am giving him "hell"-however he is giving me even greater "hell" -oh dear!!

The Austrian general has "boobed"-by sending his infantry across the bridge,where they were trapped,due to the ongoing cavalry melee,and I have an infantry regiment on his flank-would I shoot into his flank and discomfort him?????

You bet I would!!-and did! This volley caused so many casualties that Graham decided to fall back(notice I didn't say "retire"!) across the bridge,so the threat to my flank was taken away.
However,the rest of my army was in tatters,being shot to bits by superior troops-the Dutch have driven away my troops on the dominating hill,and the British have destroyed any chance I had of holding the far left flank,so all is lost!!!


Two final shots,the top photo shows the sorry state of my right,and the bottom photo shows the sorry state of my left!!
For a small game this was exciting and full of action from move number one,until the final move(13 I think!)
We don't know what we will be doing next week(the holiday hombres are still away!) we may be at Dave's house or at mine-roll on next week though.

Graham has been painting some Napoleonics,and brought these up to let us see-Hanoverians,Dutch/Belgians, Nassau and French Chasseurs(Guard) infantry........




It just remains now to get them onto the table!!




























































































































































2 comments:

  1. A crackin' ding dong. Inspired by your use of smoke - I can't help thinking that a battlefield looks odd without it now - I've made a load for Partizan II. My wife says it looks like moldy dog poo! :-P Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris-mouldy dog poo??-what colour have you made it!!!-send Paul a photo so I can see it.
      johnc

      Delete