Tuesday 14 July 2020

Feasibility and "Odds and Sods"

Last Thursday Paul and I had an Ancients game,to see if it was feasible for us all to meet as a club again!-there are 5 of us in our small(but beautiful) club and we have a permanent 10 x 6 foot table,so maybe the social distancing rules could be met-unfortunately this wasn't so!-the game went well,but with 5 members present we couldn't meet the criteria set down for our personal safety,so we'll just have to wait and see what happens within the next few weeks/months(??)-3 was,perhaps feasible,but that leaves 2 out in the cold!!


This is the ancients game that we had-I was in charge of the Romans and Paul was in charge of the Carthaginians.
It was so good to have a real opponent again(getting a trifle bored with playing with myself!!)
I did take a few more photo's of the game,but HAL(my computer) has decided to hide them! and until I can get my "technical department" (son!) to sort it out,I'm a bit stuck!!

I have "re-visited" my Napoleonics,which haven't been played with for months(possibly because the "boys" are massing loads of professionally painted figures for the 1815 campaign)
I decided that I would use them for solo games only,and split the "regiments" into brigades,each regiment was three bases strong,but now one base equals a regiment and three is a brigade-I have had 3 good interesting games using them like this,and think I have fallen back in love with the period(although all my battles will be Peninsular based affairs!)


Top shows my British infantry,bottom shows the French infantry-quite a few of them!
I tidied the bases up,re-touched paintwork where necessary and even gloss varnished the whole lot-a thing I have never done!


Cavalry and artillery got the same treatment,and now is all good to go!


Close-ups of command groups-all the figures are from Irregular Miniatures".
But now onto the first game I had with the new-look "Nappies".


Top photo shows the terrain I intended to fight over,bottom photo shows my thinking/planning for the game-instead of three brigades,I now have three Divisions!!


The "red wall" is standing,awaiting the attack,which wasn't long in coming!
I enjoyed the game,using a very simple,and vicious casualty/morale system,which gave a good,historical result.

This is the attack on the British centre-as with almost all of the attacks,the "head" of the columns was shot off,followed by a swift bayonet charge,resulting in the French having to retire(it's good being retired!) or try to form some sort of line-great wargaming!
Paul and I will be having another game this Thursday,and discuss a "get together" in my back garden,weather permitting next week.
Roll on Thursday!
I have "sussed" out what HAL has done with my photo's-he's put them in Daily Files-why?? isn't monthly files enough for him(it?)-maybe I can get back into the swing of things again.













































































































8 comments:

  1. Hey John. Paul posted a full battle report on WhatsApp. Very jealous. Looked like a top game. I was rooting for the Romans!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to see your Napoleonic collection. Gloss finish really lifts a figure. Hope you like the result. Right time to add Spanish and/or Portuguese to the collection; -) Cheers Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris-Spanish and Portuguese?-already done!!
      johnc

      Delete
    2. Lapse of memory. It's my age, you know!

      Delete
    3. Chris,I'd rather not talk about age-I blame my old friend Captain Morgan for lapses of memory!!
      johnc

      Delete
  3. Will there be pizza at the garden meet? What can be better than sitting in a garden talking about toy soldiers while eating pizza and drinking 'free' beer. I look forward to my invite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robbie,I don't know if you are aware,but drinking and driving is against the law!!
      johnc

      Delete