Thursday 20 August 2020

Idle?-Never!

Over the past two weeks,after suffering IT breakdown,(but now cured!) I have painting the following...................


 It looks like a Roman Legion-it is a Roman Legion,but in 15mm!-I will be using these figures(from Warrior Miniatures) for my solo gaming.They are superb and just what I wanted-easily painted,the right amount of detail and animation.

I ordered two "Roman Armies",and with a bit of manipulation of the command groups,and a combination of the two armies into one,I have 10 cohorts of legionaries,plus 10 cohorts of auxiliaries,plus 3 cohorts of reserves,plus 6 squadrons of cavalry,and command groups!!-not bad for £36 plus P&P......................


Top photo is detail of the legionaries,bottom is detail of the auxiliaries,and my simple painting effort-6 colours per figure!


Spear-armed cavalry and sword-armed cavalry-full of character and movement.


Detail of command groups-bottom photo also shows the sword-armed legionaries of my reserve cohorts.

Now Warrior don't do any "opposition" figures for the Romans,eg. Gauls/Brits. so I contacted Allan at Lancashire games,and he sent me some samples of his 15mm Gauls(foot and mounted),they duly arrived and I quickly painted them(extra quick painted!!) to see if they fit in with my Warrior figures................



The cavalry are OPC (One Piece Castings) and are really very good,the infantry are a bit "slimmer"(I wish I was!) and a bit "bendy" on the ankles,but with a bit of care they will do very well indeed-so much so that I have placed an order for a "boat-load",which should arrive this week.

What does every good Roman Legion need to get it to foreign lands?-Why a boat of course! I have had this "diminutive" model for years,and decided to make it up to see if I could possibly use it in a scenario for my Legion..................


It's pretty,if nothing else!

We had planned to play this Sunday,but unfortunately we can't,but watch this space!






































12 comments:

  1. Very impressive John and in record time so well done there.Its good to see you still banging away? on the keyboard, for one minute I was worried you were giving it all up.I must admit Ive rediscovered my love of ancients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robbie,It would be easier giving up RUM,than wargaming!!-Ancients has always been my favoured period.Glad to hear from you,as always-have you heard that Border Reiver Wargames Club is moving to Westerhope?
      johnc

      Delete
  2. Superb, John! My mind races... how many cohorts are you planning to have? Beyond solo gaming, 15mm lends itself to very large battles. All the best, Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris,only one Legion planned(at the moment!)I am now busy painting hundreds of barbarians,to fight the legion!!!
      johnc

      Delete
  3. I have my first non-solo game since March tomorrow :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice! Warrior miniatures are great and you cannot beat the price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Disgruntled Fusilier,couldn't agree with you more-I have been buying figures from John since the early eighties-nice to hear from you,keep reading and commenting.
      johnc

      Delete
  5. Nice to see the photos of warriors Roman range, I've got quite a few warrior figures but you are frequently buying blind due to the lack of photos on the website, so saying johns the kind of guy that if you weren't sure he'd send you out a sample.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Derek Moore,thanks for comment,and I think you are right,if samples were needed John would send you a few-keep reading and commenting!
      johnc

      Delete