Friday 14 August 2020

First game after "lock down"

We had our first game of this horrible year last night,but only three of us turned up,but never the less we had a very enjoyable game,pitting Brian's Spartacus army against the might of Brian's plastic Roman legions!

 

This is the scenario and troop dispositions before any movement-Brian was Sartacus,Graham was Crixus and I commanded the two legions commanded by Crassus and Gellius-I had four bits of paper with "Spartacus" written on them all,so that when the "boys" picked up the papers to see what command they had,they would all say"I'm Spartacus"-oh how we would have laughed!! however with Paul and Dave being absent the joke fell flat!!! But,on with the game................

Graham has launched his Gallic contingent against Crassus' legion-this was a "spirited" attack,which was only just held by the Romans-wave after wave charged into the Roman line-exciting stuff,and it was good to be back among it!!(throwing dice and writing orders has been sorely missed!)

But what of Spartacus(aka Brian)? Well he was just biding his time until Gellius was near enough to his lines to employ his "secret" weapon!!-now I wonder what that could be?


"biding his time" Brian is awaiting the onslaught of the Romans,and looking to cool,in his black and white mask, for comfort,what could he be waiting for??

A general(no pun intended!) shot of the table,showing the on-going attacks in the background from Graham's Gauls,and and Brian's "biding" troops on their cosy and safe little hills.This was all to change,and soon!!

He's only gone and bought some "flaming logs!!"-these were rolled down both hills I was attacking causing considerable damage and disruption of my lines-the man's a swine!!-the "logs" were followed up by a most violent assault by his trained and untrained troops backed up by bloody Gladiators,who inflicted even more casualties-woe is me!!


Top photo Gladiators,bottom photo Trained troops!



Despite suffering 1st degree burns from the "burning logs" I am fighting back and winning most melees-however graham diverted some of his Gauls to attack my right flank,putting me under tremendous pressure!!


Graham is continuing to attack Crassus' legion,although he is suffering too many casualties to continue for much longer-my second line is just about to swap with the first and complete the misery of the Gauls-hurrah!!-however,things have taken a turn for the worse on the other flank,and Spartacus has "fired" his troops to renew their quest for freedom by winning melee after melee(although I did capture the far hill!)


Far hill captured-does this mean I have won?-NO!!!

Brian and Graham rightly(I suppose!) claimed a victory,but actually no-one was a loser or winner in this tremendous game-long may it continue,and we have decided to try another game next Sunday-well done to us all.......................


"Selfie" with Brian and Graham-all wearing masks and observing "social distancing".

Due to the completely changed format of the blog,and the almost impossible task of getting photographs onto the computer,this may be my last blog-it has gone from being a pleasurable experience to a most frustrating and stressful chore!-My IT department head(son) is trying to give me advice,but my IT knowledge is so poor that I feel that it isn't worth the effort any more,however I might give it another "go" when I calm down (when I say "calm down" I really mean that my old friend,Captain Morgan, might just have to consulted!!)



























































17 comments:

  1. Great looking game, glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Allan,thanks for comment-it was good to be back,but we still have concerns,but I'm sure we can work something out.
      johnc

      Delete
  2. Great to see some of the team back together. I like the "I am Spartacus gag" - that would have been very amusing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahoy Matey,despite the joke falling flat,the rest of the game lived up to our expectations of the first game back.
      johnc

      Delete
  3. Kudos to Brian. Clearly he has a passion for this campaign and has been busy with his brushwork during lockdown. And of course we all love the Kirk Douglas movie. Shame the gag didn't work. I blame Paul and Dave :-) the blog has been a great way to feel involved with the WWG. Long may the great games continue. If the tech has become a headache then where's the enjoyment in writing the blog? I'll have to write you a letter or phone up. All the best, Chris :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris,good to see you and the family last week.As you know I'm no "quitter" and Kev has shown me how to do things on the blog-it just takes me so long now!(like most things at my age!!) so I'll try and plod on.
      johnc

      Delete
    2. Yay! Long live the blog. Super to see you and Daph' too :-)

      Delete
  4. Please persevere... the new format is just a new look to the same old blogger... it works the same as the old one just looks a bit different.. I'd miss the blogs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers STW,they say you can't teach an old dog new tricks,and this technology certainly looks as though it has beaten me,but I have had some guidance from the head of my IT department (my son!) so I will try and keep going!-the fact that you would miss the blogs will stir me into action,cheers.
      johnc

      Delete
  5. Great looking game, well done for organising it safely. It would be a real shame to see the blog end but I agree, blogger seem to be trying to drive people off it. I am thinking of switching to Instagram. I have a page for my other hobby and it's so easy to use... Recommended.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Mike,good to hear from you-I will keep persevering whilst getting advice and guidance-my son has set up a "facepage" account for me but that is even more difficult for me to follow than this blog!!! so I'll see how it goes over the next few games,after all it's only a machine-isn't it??
      johnc

      Delete
  6. I was becoming worried that the lurgy had carried you off John because you had become quiet. Clearly the lockdown has affected me because there is no virus desperate to infect you. Im having a lot of issues with blogger re reading any posts, but its either stick at it or effectively disappear, so keep going. I dont think I would not like to read about your battles. Great game, crap masks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yo Knobbie.I knew I could rely on you for some helpful advice!!-I am just plain old fashioned (with the emphasis on the old!) and don't like change but I will consider to keep going-as for the masks,would you rather look at our faces????
      johnc

      Delete
  7. Sorry I couldn't make it on Thursday John 🥺. Work was a nightmare....great looking game and Brian's Gladiator army is fantastic! Really wanted to see it in the flesh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave,don't keep mentioning the "W" word-you know it upsets Brian and I!!!-between Brian and myself we have re-designated some of his troop types and added a "few" more Gauls and Spaniards from my collection,and now it is ready to take on anyone!!!
      johnc

      Delete
  8. I'd encourage you to keep up with Blogging - the NEW system is very good -try giving it some time to get use to it. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi KEV,thanks for your encouraging words-I will keep trying,but,and I suppose this is an age thing,I get very frustrated not knowing what to do when I hit a "snag" and have to keep asking my son what to do.
      Keep reading the blog to see how I cope!
      johnc

      Delete