Sunday 12 June 2022

Thunder Around the Glen

 “And the gossip in the ranks did stop of a sudden as the army guns first fired like thunder around the glen.”

Exert from Sheridan’s “History of the Great Scotch Rising”.

A small painting update.

Half inspired by a French Indian War game this week and the second half of the inspiration provided by Paul’s comment on my Glenshiel blog post, I’ve finished my Royal Artillery for the 1745 (and beyond). It’s always great to channel inspiration into painting. Similar to prepping for a game, it makes the paint flow easier!


The collection I’m putting together for the ‘45 is designed with Sharp Practice in mind. So 2 guns are ample. Probably more than ample. The Front Rank figures were picked up secondhand so I only had 2 lots of figures in the same poses. No biggie. I’ve altered their position slightly on the bases so they aren’t exactly the same. The guns are leftovers from my Sedgemoor/Killiecrankie collection (not many guns required there!). I tend not to stick my guns on the bases. So…


Option of a Coehorn mortar battery. I have everything I need to recreate Glenshiel. I’m not fussed that they’re not 1719 uniforms. And obviously both sides used Coehorn mortars during the ‘45.

The artillery will serve me well for FIW too. 

Royal Artillery command base. Not essential as I already have more Hanoverian command bases than I need for Sharp Practice, but since I had these 2 figures seemed a nice addition to this painting batch.  



 As I had this fun piece and the Hessian’s uniform would let me see how the blue Contrast Paint looks, I painted this vignette before I started the RA. The Contrast worked well on the white undercoat.

Flags of War’s charity piece “Hessian Kids”. Lovely sculpts and for a great cause. Still available so check out Flags of War. I’ve tried to make it look like the grenadier is standing in the verge as the kids parade along the road. I imagine that the genial grenadier is amused by their parody. 

Based on some contemporary sketches of boys playing at being Hessians whilst the Hessian contingent was posted in Scotland during the ‘45.

Thanks for reading. 

Cheers

Chris

3 comments:

  1. Lovely stuff Chris look forward to seeing these in table

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Soon, soon. The Coehorn mortars will see service first. Not far off being able to do a ‘45 game though. Cheers

      Delete
  2. "Thunder around the Glen"-sounds like Brian's been eating lettuce again!!-good article-loads going on in your neck of the woods-kep 'em coming.
    johnc

    ReplyDelete