Monday 5 June 2023

A Colonial Adventure in 6mm

 Back in 1988 the local wargames show was held in the Newcastle Civic Centre. I forget the name of the show? Not sure it was Border Reiver back then? I do remember the dramatic sounds and music from the movie Zulu carrying over the crowds. This cassette tape on loop drew me through the throng towards the Westerhope Wargames Group’s tabletop recreation of the battle of Kambula Hill. I loved the movie Zulu - still do - and was overwhelmed by the club’s demo. Hundreds of 25mm - in the days before scale creep brought us 28mm - figures, terrain and table size I’d only seen in the mags and did I mention the Zulu theme music?

That was how I came to join the club. And I’ve enjoyed many a colonial game with John’s British, Boers, Zulus, Egyptians and Mahdists since.

I was recently offered a friend’s stalled project - 6mm Zulu Wars figures. That it was Zulus probably caused an involuntary flash in my eyes and they were thrust into my hands!

I did try painting some 6mm ECW figures years ago but approached them pretty much as I would larger scaled figures. One of my failed projects. I guess that I just didn’t get this whole joy of six thing.

I’ve done my research, decided to use Black Powder rules (and their Zulu Wars supplement), decided on how I want it to look, and based my organisation on the orders of battle for the battle of Isandlwana (primarily based on info in the BP supplement, which keeps it simple, but doesn’t agree with everything else I’ve read on the Zulu army hey ho). 

Just look where 3 weeks’ worth of therapeutic painting time has got me…

The whole Royal impi - in the horns of the beast formation - complete with amakhosi, scouts and skirmishers. And a reasonable model of Isandlwana.



The right horn of the beast with the uDududu ibutho closest to camera. The base is a regular sized unit in terms of the rules and represents ~1500 men. The painting was a real pleasure. So darn simple! Not quite the visual spectacle of John’s Zulus, but I’m really pleased with them.


The left horn with the massive inGobamakhosi ibutho. This regiment was something like 6,000 strong! It’s so large I’m representing this regiment with two large units in Black Powder.



I’ve even made a base of scouts herding cattle for Durnford’s irregulars to chase. The base will double as the ruse used by the uMbonambi ibutho - they brought forward a herd of cattle and warriors hid amongst them to penetrate the Imperial lines.

I still need to label the ambutho so I don’t have to recognise the 6mm shields! I’ll include interesting bits like age of warriors and approximate strength. I’d like to label the amakhosi but they’re on 30mm round bases and with such long names that ain’t happening!

I need to switch to some other painting, but I’m looking forward to painting the Imperial troops. Not nearly as many to do…!

I have added purchases to the figures I’d acquired; this includes extra Zulus, commanders for both sides, Natal Native Contingent, a camp, a wagon laager and a great model of Rorke’s Drift mission. Many things I’m really looking forward to painting. It’s fun painting these tiny chaps.

A quick run through how I turned out this army so quickly…


I smeared filler across an mdf base - organically shaped - and planted the figures in it before it cured. No glue required. A few stones, pebbles and sand were added for interest.

Then the whole thing was sprayed with a nice sandy brown paint.



And then washed with a dark brown Contrast paint.


Then I did the ground work before “detailing” the figures. Any bare areas of earth were drybrushed sandy brown then cream. After that flock was stuck on.

The figure detailing was a black dot on the head, cream on the loincloth, silver on the weapon, the shield colours, the shield tuft painted white and a dab of white on the back of any visible ankles (the flock hid most). Zen painting…


The iNdlondlo ibutho before detailing the figures. I experimented with adding some height with this unit. In 6mm it’s not necessarily apparent!

This regiment is small in terms of the rules. There were ~900 men in the iNdlondlo at Isandlwana.

Thoroughly enjoying my 6mm colonial adventure!

Thanks for reading.

Cheers

Chris

4 comments:

  1. I remember that day very well Chris. The constant racket from some crap speaker playing Zulu over and over again. It was like physiological torture inter-spaced with insane laughter from John. I still have wakeful nights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robbie. I’m sure John feels terrible knowing that…

      Delete
    2. I wasn't insane then-but I am now!!
      johnc

      Delete
  2. Hi Chris I have a large number of 6mm zulus/ British etc that have not seen the light of day for years and a load of unpainted. Graham

    ReplyDelete