Monday 30 September 2024

What a Wargaming Week!

I've had quite a week this week-on Friday I enjoyed two hours in the company of my old friend and fellow wargamer,Charlie Wesencraft,who,at the age of 96, has invented a Board/Wargame which we played-and of course he won!! Also through the week I finished my Persian army(Lancashire Games) and have had a game today with them against my Spartan army-thrilling to the end,using Elephants and Scythed Chariots is not for the faint hearted!!-We also played a fast and furious Sudanese colonial game on Sunday!!


 Charlie in his wargaming room,studying his next move of his game(ACW) I hope I'm as sharp as he is when(if?) I reach 96!


Persians(on the right) arrayed against the Spartans-I deliberately painted the Persians in what I call "bonnie" colours-Brian said they look like a Unicorn has vomitted on them!!


Scythed chariots- I have yet to think of a way to use them,in a realistic way for my solo rules!


Elephant unit getting stuck into some mercenary Greeks-they didn't like it!!


Before the first clash.


First clash-Spartans knocked the first Persian line about a bit!-second Persian line(Apple Bearers) put up a stiffer fight,but Spartans are Spartans,and they prevailed!!-great stuff.


Sunday night's game now-my Egyptians are being put under a bit of pressure by Graham's Haddendowah-will the hold??


NO!!! on the otherr flank,Dave commanded the Naval Brigade,against the Dervish hordes-would he prevail???


NO!!!-these colonial games are great fun-we haven't played a one for a while and forgot some of the rules,but nevertheless we enjoyed it-roll on next week.

































































2 comments:

  1. Lovely to see Charles Wesencraft still going strong! His book 'With Pike and Shot' is a firm favourite- and I suspect not just with me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello David,his book was one of my first inspirations too,he's a lovely man,still full of wit and humour-long may it continue-nice to hear from you,keep the comments coming!
      johnc

      Delete