Monday 13 August 2018

Battle of Salva River 208BC>

Last night we staged a very exciting Ancients game,Romans against Carthaginians.


Top photo is the scenario,bottom is the table before any movement.
Paul and Brian were the Carthaginian commanders,whilst Graham and I were the Scipio brothers(we commanded more like the Chuckle Brothers(Brother!!))

Opening moves,and Paul and Brian(fresh-faced and tanned from his recent trip to Mablethorpe) move their troops forward-this was going to be fast and furious!

Action!! Graham's flank is right in among it!!-cavalry and infantry,skirmishers all eager to die(too eager?? too soon??)-we got the better of the initial clashes,mainly due to pila,as far as the infantry are concerned-hurrah!

Brian's first line(Celts and Gauls) charged into my Hastati,and a fair old tussle ensued-in the background you can see Graham and Paul are also locked in a Titanic struggle-grand stuff!

Then,disaster struck!!-Graham lost his cavalry,and Paul advanced on his hapless legion,forcing it into a defensive formation!!(note,the lurking Elephant on Graham's left flank of his Princepes)

On my flank,I have driven off the Celts/Gauls but Brian has charged into me with his African infantry-I have turned my Triarii to face the threat from his cavalry and Elephant,so for a while my flank is secure-hurrah!!

This shows the sorry state of Graham's legion(what legion??)-the whole flank has gone-woe is us!!

Whilst my Triarii hold off Brian's Elephant and cavalry,I am moving my un-touched cavalry through a gap,intending to out-flank his African infantry-this move also prompted Paul to move his African infantry into a defensive formation!


There they go,but to no avail!-Paul's cavalry are advancing against my flank,and we have no hope of winning!!


One final shot,my legion was intact(though battered!) and with cavalry about to assault my rear(ooher!!) we called it a night,and a good win for Brian and Paul-well done lads.
Don't know what's happening next week-Graham is on holiday,and Dave seems to have gone AWOL-although he is planning a demo game for Border Reiver(1st September) so hope everything is going ok!!



























































2 comments:

  1. Epic stuff! (as usual). Good to see the ruined monastery getting plenty of use :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cheers Chris,oh yes the "ruin" will feature in quite a few battles to come-once again,many thanks.
      johnc

      Delete