Tuesday 4 December 2018

Covered Waggons for the "Old West"

In an idle moment(which are few and far between!) I decided that for my Plains Indians wars period,I might just have a need for some covered waggons for the Indians to attack!! but I didn't have any-another project is born!!!
I "surfed" the internet for images of covered waggons to see if I could come up with something,but to my surprise,there was a detailed plan for a waggon,so I downloaded the image/plan,enlarged it by 25%,and the project was underway.


Top photo is the plan,as seen on the computer,bottom photo is a couple cut out c/w wheels,front and back-however I decided to make both front and back wheels the same,as I couldn't find any washers/coins that fitted the smaller front wheels!

This shows the waggon cut out,and the wheels ready to be stuck onto penny coins(which were the exact fit!!)

This is the part that made me weep-I had to go out and buy(with real money) a piece of timber to make the body rigid,because the paper would be too flimsy without it!-I cut the timber to size,luckily the timber I bought was 25mm wide by 12mm deep,as was the waggon!!

The paper body has been stuck onto the timber,the wheels have been stuck onto the pennies,and I have measured and "rolled" a piece of paper to act as the cover.


Top photo shows the body and cover,bottom photo shows the wheels stuck onto the body.

Almost finished-I had to drill a hole in the front and stick a cocktail stick into it to act as the boom.

No boring old white canvas waggon train for me!!!

As they say in the best Westerns "Waggons Ho",and the're off to a better life,unless they encounter the odd Grizzly,pack of Wolves,or,God forbid, Indians!!!!

What would the Indians have to fight,if it wasn't for these pioneers??

Just keeping an eye out for hostiles!!

This lot took me approx. 4 hours to complete,and I enjoyed the challenge,now I just have to convince the rest of  the"boys" that this period will be fun to play!!






























































6 comments:

  1. Brilliant! What more can one say, well done John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robbie,many thanks for your kind comment-what are you after???
      johnc

      Delete
  2. Ye ha! What excellent wagons,l look forward to seeing them in action. The spirit of Blue Peter is alive and kicking indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Allan,glad you liked my efforts-the wife thinks I'm mad!! and yes Blue Peter has alot to answer for-where can I find sticky back plastic???
      johnc

      Delete
  3. Excellent! Wonder if a dry wash of thinned brown ink would do the trick???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi STW,I tried a brown wash,but the printing paper I'm using(Tesco's best!) just disintegrated!! I even tried felt tip pen,but that hid the detail-thanks for your comments.
      johnc

      Delete