Wednesday 23 October 2019

15mm project and game preview.

My 15mm ECW project is now well under way,and I thought I just might show my attempt at painting these "little devils",from bare metal to finished item!

This is my latest Royalist regiment-20 figures,on their painting bases,and ready to go!
It must be mentioned that I have a strange painting ethos-I look at a figure and work out how FEW colours I can get away with,without it looking too "crap".



The above three photo's show the remarkable amount of detail on these tiny figures-there's no way I could paint it all in!!


After painting the faces and hair(same colour!) I have blocked the main clour in,ie green,and now for the clever(??) part,as far as I am concerned!!!


I have painted hats,boots,muskets,pikes,scabbards and cross belts all the same colour,ie brown!
saving me an awful lot of time and effort!


Brown complete,on with a flag,and almost ready to be based,just a touch of gold and a splash of red,and we're off!

Based on a 100mm by 30mm card base,ready for flocking..........................


Flocked and totally finished!-because of this fast(and crappy) painting technique,I can knock one regiment out per day-I know,I know,it shows!!

Now onto the game preview for Sunday..........................

This is the scenario,we haven't played this period for some time,mainly because we haven't got the correct figures for the French and British! but our Marlburian figures will have to do.

This is the table as the "boys" will see it as they arrive on Sunday night-we will pick sides on the night!

Apart from the fort,this settlement will also be an objective for the British!
Roll on Sunday.

























































































































10 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the painting technique - good results in my opinion.
    What is the significance of the spot on the base?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahoy Matey!-thanks for positive comment,I consider myself to be a wargamer who paints,rather than a painter who wargames(does that make sense?).The spot is to differentiate between regiments,'cos I paint two together!!-the other bases have crosses on them,and as the figures are slightly different I need to know who is who(my WIFE says it's OCD!)
      johnc

      Delete
    2. That all makes sense! I like this painting technique and it certainly gets the job done at a good pace. I ought to try it on my ECW figures that are STILL languishing in their little plastic bags...

      Delete
    3. Ahoy matey,Languishing is such a good word!-get them painted!(25mm or 15mm??)-I can't believe I've made sense to someone!!
      johnc

      Delete
    4. 20mm!!! I painted a couple at the weekend to try the Coutts Method - just 100 more to do!

      Delete
    5. Hi MJT,you didn't say if your attempt at my method was a success or not!!-now I'm worried!-keep the comments coming-on Monday I received 455 "hits" from Indonesia-what's going on??
      johnc

      Delete
    6. I wouldn't classify any of my painting as a success!! A less is more approach to the colours seems to make sense to me though.
      I can't help you with your Indonesian Fan Club issue I'm afraid!

      Delete
    7. Ahoy,I have now finished the whole "lot",and will publish a couple of photo's soon-with my eyesight and from 3 feet away,they look alright to me!!cheers,
      johnc

      Delete
  2. Absolutely nothing wrong with your painting technique in my books, it's a good philosophy! You could be posh and call it a 'limited palate'.
    I guess you could get away with a few different coloured hats, perhaps - one or two in black and/or grey? Just to break up the uniformity, and give them that slightly 'unregulated', pre-standing armies, ECW feel. And maybe a splash of white for the very 17th-Century shirt collars.. It would only add a few minutes - or would that be the 'thin end of the wedge'?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI david in suffolk-I like the "limited palate" tag!-As for more colours-I would have to have a lie down in a darkened room!!!-good advice though,I may give it a try,and if the results are ok,I'll adopt it,cheers,
      johnc(william)

      Delete