Monday 21 October 2019

Fog on the Rhine.Germans vs Romans.

Last night Graham,Brian and I had an all-tussle,kick and rush type of Ancients game,and it was a "cracker".
I had set the game up as a 4-hander but as only three of us turned up,I took on the role of Roman commander,controlling 2 full legions(not an easy task!!) whilst Brian and Graham took control of two lots of German tribesmen-my objective was to cross the river,the German objective was to stop me-simple but effective!!

This is the table before any movement-Romans on the right,Brian's command to the front of the photo,Graham in the background.

This is Brian's view of the 7th Legion advancing-because some of his troops were behind a barricade,and I had to advance uphill,I put the fighting ability of this legion as "high"-but they still had a hard job of it!!

We're off!! Both Graham and I advanced to contact asap,and,being out-numbered,I was quickly flanked and driven back,but as the main lines contacted,the tussle was much more even,neither side gaining a real advantage early on.On the other flank,Brian and I contented ourselves with some skirmishing,stones,javelins and arrows flying all over the place!!

Skirmishing done,now in with the sword and spear!!-this looked spectacular,and lasted a few moves before my superior training(and generalship?) started to come into play,and the defences eventually fell,and I gained the flank,in the last move!!!

The fight between Graham and I continues!!! but I am aware that he now has "spare" warbands bearing down on my exposed right flank,where two cohorts have fled-oh dear!!

Graham has,indeed, taken advantage of his "spare" warbands,and is giving me hell!!-I think all is lost on this flank(10th Legion too!!)


Two final shots showing my 7th Legion capturing the defences-because I had won one flank and lost the other,a draw was decided to be the fairest result-although it must be said the,theoretically,because I had crossed the river,I had won!!!!!
This was good game,and I enjoyed it,as did Brian and Graham-well done to us all.


































































































11 comments:

  1. Nice! No map for this one? What restrictions were included for crossing the Rhine? Hope the Romans remembered their water wings ;-) I agree that it's a Roman victory. If you're across and unlikely to be budged, the crossing is secured. Cheers, Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris,no map because the game was designed in a hurry-no terrain restrictions either!!
      Next week we will be back to "normal"(is there such a thing in wargames circles?)
      johnc

      Delete
    2. Normal is over rated! And I liked Fog on the Rhine. Nice Geordie touch :-)

      Delete
    3. Chris,you could never use the word "normal" for our squad!!!-thee you thoon!
      johnc

      Delete
  2. The Victor always Writes the History !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brian,I have never told a lie in my whole life!!!-sore loser springs to mind!

      johnc

      Delete
    2. Sour Grapes "Never".
      You know I always take Defeat well.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Ahoy Maudlin Jack Tar(full title this week!)-you only liked the game 'cos water was involved!!-it was actually a good game,very close,just like it should be,cheers.
      johnc

      Delete
    2. HA HA! No I like the Sudan games too (if the Naval Brigade is involved of course)

      Delete
    3. MJT-per terra,per mare(is that correct?)

      johnc

      Delete