Friday 13 December 2019

Impromptu Ancients Game.

Because of an unfortunate set of circumstances,Paul has a bit of time on his hands,and phoned me up asking for a game-Brian was also free,so the three of us had a great time this morning playing a Roman vs Carthaginian game.
I didn't have much time to change the terrain from Sunday's game,so it basically remained the same.
Paul was Hannibal,whilst Brian and I took on the roles of Roman commanders.


Top photo shows the beautiful Roman lines-bottom photo shows the beautiful line of elephants about to attack them!!

With Brian looking gleefully on,the grey tsunami crashes into the Hastati!! The elephants took a bit of a bashing,but they upset my troops so much that I was forced to retire them(It's good being retired!-I really don't know how I manage to get that phrase into every game/blog!!)
The elephants tested their morale and decided to go straight back through their supporting Celts!!-oh dear,how sad,never mind!

As the Hastati and elephants fight it out,Paul's Carthaginian and Spanish cavalry were moving towards my Roman and Auxiliary cavalry-that sneaky Paul is moving a host of Numidian cavalry around the flank-these could prove to be a bit of a problem later on!!

As Brian's auxiliaries defend the settlement,his Marines have landed,and now the action switched to his flank,relieving the pressure off me!(see what I mean by the terrain and scenario being very similar to Sunday's??)


Top photo shows Paul retiring his elephants through the gaps left by his highly trained Celts!!
Bottom photo shows the mayhem and slaughter of a mass Cavalry melee on the Roman left flank-great wargaming and spectacular!

Brian's Marines are causing a bit of concern to Paul's left flank,however he is in the process of dumping Brian's auxiliaries, unceremoniously, out of the settlement,and a cavalry battle in the gap between the settlement and the woods,is not going Brian's way either!!!-oh dear.

It's now the turn of my Princepes to get involved with Paul's Celts:
Question: how would it be possible for the best trained and efficient troops in the known world to be beaten by a bunch of un-washed,ill-disciplined and rowdy Barbarians?
Answer: Bloody dice!!!!!!!!!!

All of my cavalry have fled(I almost said retired!) leaving the Numidians to skirmish with my Velites,who didn't like it one little bit!! In fact they fled(retired!) too-woe is us!!!

With my Princepes going back(notice that I didn't say the retire word!) and my Triarii having to adopt a defensive formation,due to cavalry activity on the flank,it is now up to Brian to save the day-come on Brian,you can do it-throw some good dice!!

Well,he didn't listen to me did he? The marines are getting a right old hiding,and although he has reclaimed the settlement,it was game over for the Romans!!
Great game! Well done to us.















































































































































4 comments:

  1. What a brilliant looking game John. I love the Carthaginians and especially the idea of war elephants. The models are great. I cant believe you bought them in a pound shop.Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robbie,we really enjoyed the game-more so because it wasn't planned as meticulously as I normally do!-The elephants tend to be a bit of a nightmare,but a part of the fun!
      johnc

      Delete
  2. Fine looking battle, and what a lot of elephants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahoy Matey,there were still some in the box!!
      Thanks for comment,
      johnc

      Delete