Tuesday 31 December 2019

Battle of Westwood Junction 1879.

This morning Paul and I had an exciting and colourful game involving US Cavalry against Indians(Sioux and Cheyenne).Brian is poorly,and Dave and Graham are still sunning themselves in foreign lands!


Top is scenario,bottom is table before any movement.I commanded the Indians,Paul the cavalry and civilian workforce!

Action!!-this was designed as a "knockabout" game,and certainly lived up to that title!
This shows my attack on the worker's camp-I took a bit of stick coming into contact,but so did the workers!


Top photo shows my advance on the "junction"-the cavalry had a longer range than my Indians,so I took some casualties! Bottom photo shows my slow progress through the woods-Paul's reinforcements are not showing themselves yet,as he threw a 4 on the dice,indicating that they would come onto the board on move 4!!!(clever stuff eh??)

My attack on the "junction" is progressing quite well,and I am holding my own(!!) against Paul's defenders-still no sign of the reinforcements.

The attack on the junction continues,as my Sioux burst forth from the woods-just as the reinforcements arrive and set up a firing line and the gatling gun-oh dear!!

Oh dear indeed!! a combination of rifle and gatling fire destroyed the leading elements of my attack!!-would numbers tell??

Momentarily I gained access to the junction compound-hurrah!!-only to be assailed by fresh troops,and,heeding the saying of "he who fights and runs away,lives to fight another day"-I ran away!!!! HOWEVER..........................

The worker's camp is overun,and all the workers are being killed-hurrah(unless you are a worker!)

Reinforcements are making mince-meat out of my Sioux,and forced them all to flee(notice I didn't use the word "retire")
Although Paul had technically won the game,I claimed victory because there weren't enough workers left to complete the railway!!(straws/grasp etc.)
This was an enjoyable way to spend a couple of hours before getting ready to get "hammered" for no good reason tonight!-Someone on the radio said that Christmas and New Year is "Torture dressed up as Celebration" and I guess they were right.
We would like to wish you all a very happy and healthy 2020.





























































































































6 comments:

  1. Fun looking game (love the train).
    Happy New Year gents!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahoy Matey,glad you liked it,and a happy and healthy new year to you too-keep commenting in 2020,cheers,
      johnc

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Hi StW-same to you,hope you keep reading the blog in 2020,
      jonc

      Delete
  3. Great looking tussle! All the best for 2020 :-) Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yo Chris,hope you and yours have a great new year,and pleased that Ferdie is ok.
      johnc

      Delete