Thursday 24 September 2020

Testudo!

My next battle with my 15mm stuff will involve an attack on a defended town,so I will need my Roman troops to be in a testudo formation-however,I don't have any testudos!-so what to do?

Well,me being me, and a POP(Poor Old Pensioner) I will have to make some,using card,which I carefully measured and scored,folded and marked it with 10mm squares to represent the shields.



Top photo shows the effect I was going for-simple but effective,bottom photo shows the production line in action.

One finished testudo-card was coloured with a felt-tip pen,and a dot of gold paint to represent the shield boss did the trick(I know the shields should be over-lapped,but my artistic ability doesn't stretch that far!!)



All ten complete,and ready to go-BUT,a problem arose-5 of the cohorts have standard bearers and the standard would stop the testudo from fitting properly,so what to do???.............



Simply cut a "notch" into the card,and hey presto,it fits!!-how will they look in action?



Not too bad!

Now onto another pressing problem!-I found during the game I had earlier this week,that I had to move lots and lots of tiny bases,which could lead to damage,so what to do?

Make movement trays of course!Measured card and 10mm front strip(to stop the figures from sliding off!)......................


Measured,cut and stuck-just need a bit of flock to complete them.................


Job complete,what do they look like with 2 bases of figures on them?


It's bloody good being retired!-lots of time to "fanny about" doing important wargames projects.

My next 15mm battle will be fought this week,unless Boris makes it illegal to have any form of fun!-by the way,if you hadn't realised,today is only 3 months to Christmas Eve!!-Happy Xmas!



















































6 comments:

  1. Great crafting John. Two thumbs up! Cheers, Chris :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris and thanks-I guess I'm just too mean to buy some testudos!
      johnc

      Delete
    2. If you have the skills and confidence to make stuff, why buy? I'm happy to convert stuff if and only if it's not commercially available. I've converted a couple of armoured vehicles and some Mahdist cavalry in quilted cotton armour recently. Makes things extra special if you've gone to the lengths of a spot of crafting :-)

      Delete
    3. Chris,couldn't agree more-especially the "extra special" bit.
      johnc

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Hello Ros Mac-good to hear from you-I remembered after I had finished the testudos,that Warrior actually make 15mm models of the said testudos-but I've saved myself a bit of "dosh" making my own,cheers
      johnc(william)

      Delete