Tuesday 7 September 2021

Battle of Fort Dexter 21AD.

On Sunday night Dave,Graham,Brian and I had a 15mm Roman vs Barbarians game using my "solo" rules...................


Terrain map and table layout-all Roman figures are from Warrior Miniatures,all Barbarian figures are from Lancashire Games.


Detail of the Gallic Chariots-Graham commanded the Gauls,Brian commanded the Germans and Dave and I shared command of the Romans.



Both Barbarian commanders begin their attacks,using chariots and light cavalry to "soften" up the Legions and cavalry.


The Roman line stands firm-Graham has used his chariots only to begin his attack,and the warbands(as you can see) are still on the hill,awaiting the outcome of the chariot's skirmishing.



Then,CRASH!! the warbands hit the Roman line and all hell was let loose-the blue "pom-poms" denote the cohorts haven't thrown their pila-but when they did the Gauls didn't like it one little bit!!



Brian's Germans are now making their presence felt against an Aux. Legion-I had blunted his attacking power by using my Cavalry very aggressively,tying up half of his warbands-however the remainder were quite effective,being used in a dense (wedge) formation.



Top photo shows the result of the Gauls carnage-Graham was virtually wiped out! bottom photo is the view from the Roman side of the board-the Germans were doing well,but their flank was in real danger(Roman Legions now free to harass them at will)-so a solid Roman victory-hurrah!!

Because I have only used these rules playing solo games a few "anomalies" crept into the game,which I noted,and if we use these rules again,I will have to implement some changes,but altogether a good game,and enjoyed by us all.

Now an "intriguing" photograph-I was passing a high class furniture store(Barker and Stonehouse) yesterday,and saw this chair in their window-what I want to know is "why would anyone want a pair of stirrups on a chair-what possible use could they have???"


YEE-HAR_ride 'em Cowboy!!!























































 

8 comments:

  1. Impressive John, I didnt realise they were 15mm which shows either my eyesight is worse than I thought or your painting is getting better.If you'd gone to a proper school and not borstal you would know the Roman word for fort is Castra. Anyway a question, why were hanging around outside of Barker and Stonehouse? Have you come into money? I thought everyone had stirrups attached the sides of their chairs. Mine also has a whip and hard hat, got to think of health and safety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robbie-I worry about you!!-my painting will never get better,but thanks for the comment,as for "castra" I thought that was short for castrate!!
      johnc

      Delete
  2. The Chair?
    Lap Dancing for seniors....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Doug,the world's a funny old place isn't it?-thanks for reading,cheers.
      johnc

      Delete
  3. The collection looks great John. And you won yay! I’m intrigued as to what anomalies arose with the rules. Not so intriguing are the stirrups on the chair; are you sure it wasn’t Ann Summers’ window you were browsing? I mean passing 🤣

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris,things are so much more difficult to control when I am used to making instant decisions when playing solo,and transfering the rules to a multi player game-the main problem arose when I told the "boys" that units could "double up" and they used the rule instantly,when I only use the "double up" when a unit is at minus one!!-we'll get there(?)
      johnc

      Delete
  4. Yet another wonderful looking game and figures and sounds like great fun for all. Sounds like your rules are a mix of written detail and sensible/logical interpretation. You'll bring the fellas along, as you note!
    I am sure that you could work out some uses for the chair :)!!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day mate-thought I'd lost you to either Covid or "walkabout!"-glad you're ok.I'm a firm believer that common sense should dictate what can and can not be done in wargaming as long as historical accuracy is involved!As for the chair,well my mind boggles!
      johnc

      Delete