Friday 17 September 2021

Battle of Pine Creek 1863.

I have had a most entertaining two day battle,using my 15mm ACW figures,I called the encounter Pine Creek,which most probably doesn't exist,but it served my purpose!


Terrain map and table before any troops.I was using all of the figures which amounted to 60 regiments per side,ie 4 divisions each-could I cope using my simple solo rules?



I used photo-copied "cigarette cards" to depict the divisional commanders,to add a bit of realism(?) and then laid the troops out as per my written plans for both sides-it looked quite spectacular!


Each division was given a task to perform,as above,and off I went!


I marked the dispositions on the terrain map-the planning stage of the game was as interesting as the game itself-the Union reserve column came onto the board on move number 5(throw of a dice) and the Confederates on move number 3-this was significant and put the Union troops under alot of pressure later on!


The initial moves were particularly interesting-the terrain dictating formations and who got there "the fastest,with the mostest!"

This shows the centre action-musketry and artillery were causing casualties on both sides,which prompted divisions being hurled in to reinforce and replace battered regiments-great stuff!


The Confederate reserves are making a big push to out-flank the Union,who can only spare one brigade from their reserves-will this be enough???




Top shows the "Reb's" big push for the flank,middle shows the sorry state of both centres,and bottom shows the very sorry state of the Confederate right flank-only one thing for it now-the famous Rebel Yell,and get in with the bayonet!!!!




Top shows the ill-fated Rebel charge-shot to bits and forced to retire(it's good being retired!) middle photo shows another Reb brigade being sent to help out the out-flanking troops who were being sorely tried!-bottom shows the position being saved by the Union commander sending another of his brigades from his hard-pressed centre!!


Top photo shows the Union left-now secured,and they are about to out-flank the Rebels,bottom photo shows the state of both centres-red "pom-poms" denoting casualties-lots of them!!

THE END!-a costly victory for the Union-this was a very inspirational game,so much so that I am already planning the next big battle-wonderful wargaming!

I played the game on Tuesday and Thursday,spending the whole of Wednesday building MDF 15mm ACW houses,barns etc. but that's another blog!!!!














































































 

4 comments:

  1. Looks great! I hope it feels like you’re commanding a corps

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris-It does feel a bit different,more powerful somehow!-I think great things will come of this.
      johnc

      Delete
  2. Another great looking game John. Those masses of troops are wonderful.
    I'm particularly 'taken' by your wargaming sheet. Have I mentioned that before? It looks great. Is it painted or dyed?
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day Mate,the sheet is just an ordinary olive green bedsheet,sprayed with car paint,the roads and stream are chalked on using extra large "kiddy" chalks-the result is good and very flexible.cheers.
      johnc

      Delete