Monday 30 August 2021

ACW test battle.

Last night Graham,Dave and I had a game with my Warlord Games figures ,and what a game it turned out to be-with 60 "regiments" per side it couldn't have been anything else!!


Top photo is the scenario and terrain map,bottom is the table before any troops were put on it.I commanded the Confederates,whilst Graham and Dave(who approached the game, and my solo rules with an open mind!) commanded the Union army.

For those of you who can't remember what Dave looks like,that's him on the right!!-The troops are moving into their respective positions,and the "ding-dong" game was about to start.



These two photo's show the relative positions of both armies-my attack against the "snake" fence and the walled farm came to a quick end,as the cover and poor dice throws saw two full brigades falter and retire(it's good being retired!)-the attack against the "cornfield" was a mixed bag,as both Dave's troops and mine suffered the same amount of casualties-thrilling and spectacular stuff!.


In this shot,Dave has launched a two brigade attack,intending to drive me from the hill-he succeded!!(in grand style!)


Gaps are starting to appear in my line,and Dave has now sent a brigade to contest the crossing,I was just about to stabilise the position with my reserve division,when............................


Graham launched his reserve division against my hard-pressed left flank!-I had to redeploy my reserves,to match him-by this time I was exhausted!!!


Top photo shows Dave's thrust up the hill,driving my shot-to-pieces brigade backwards!! Botttom photo shows the whole battlefield,and the sorry state of the Confederate army-a well deserved win for Graham and Dave.We discussed the game and the rules,and Dave said he enjoyed it,but I feel that he had "reservations",maybe another couple of games will sway him.

Roll on next Sunday,Brian is back from his holidays,and we will probably have an Ancients game,using my 15mm figures,and  my solo rules!













































12 comments:

  1. Think that you gave the Blue Belly ‘boys’ took strong a position. You were a hard task master for yourself. Looks the business. Understandable that Dave has reservations as he’s committed to ACW in 28mm. It’ll naturally play differently in 15mm using your solo rules. Cheers, Chris :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris,certainly does! I like the rules and the way you can elasticate time and distance,plus you get the feel of a very large battle,When Brian gets his all painted,we could have 120 regiments per side!!
      johnc

      Delete
    2. That’s going to be some battle. Is Brian all fired up and painting while he’s on holiday? Great when you’re grabbed by enthusiasm for a new range/period 👍🏻

      Delete
    3. Hi Chris,Brian is now back from his cut-price holiday in a place called Kabul-well he got it cheap!!-he's doing well,and is concentrating on the Confederates at the moment,Graham is also painting some Zouaves for the project,so watch this space!!cheers,
      johnc

      Delete
    4. Yay great stuff. A club project!

      Delete
    5. Chris,it's amazing how these things take off!
      johnc

      Delete
  2. Fantastic! You soon knocked those two armies out, I know some people have criticised Epic but you can get going at warming very quickly and chesply.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello James-the painting is "minimalistic" to say the least,but the overall effect is quite good(!!)-no criticism from me,I like the whole concept alot,cheers.
      johnc

      Delete
  3. We should not have Painted the buggers Flags and Bases would have been enough!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah but the end result,Brian,think of the end result!!
      johnc

      Delete
  4. Two games in quick succession (secession?); your 'epic' boys are getting a rapid initiation into 'the business'. Am I right in assuming that the cavalry (and artillery?) are 15 mm? If so, they blend really well, don't they?
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI James,the cav and artillery are from my existing Warrior Miniatures collection,and they do fit in quite well-pity about the infantry though,but I may just have enough without them!!!cheers.
      johnc

      Delete