Thursday 6 September 2018

River/Road slip problem solved.

I will be investing a large part of my pension in November(Battleground show,Stockton) on some new river sections,from Last Valley.These sections are in 300mm lengths,and,being an experienced wargamer,know for a fact that they will "slip" during the games,the same as roads do!
So what is the solution??-well,Velcro strips,is the answer!-I have seen,very recently,as well in the past,that a good looking wargame  can end up looking a mess if the river/road sections start to drift apart during the game,so I bought(with real money!!) 1metre of Velcro strips for 3 pounds(gulp!!) and developed the following solution.............................

This shows the equipment I needed-I am using some old and un-used River sections and road sections(on the reverse-clever old me!!) to illustrate the method.The roll of Velcro has both hoop and loop on the same strip,and is self-adhesive,so no need for messy glue.

Detail of the Velcro strip-I will be "sticking" two river sections and a curve/bend to illustrate the solution.

In this shot I have stuck the loops onto a cut piece of card(to act as a join!) and the hoops onto the river sections(the back of it of course!)

I have simply pressed the joining card onto the river section,and a good solid,firm grip is made.

Hey Presto!!-turned over to reveal the river,which will not "drift" apart during a game.

The same method will be applied to the bend/curve......................

Again,stuck and solid-will not move!!

Dismantled,by carefully prising the sections and joining card apart!-simple but effective.
I will be using this method when I get my new river sections.
Any comments??






















































6 comments:

  1. That's a very good solution! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yuri,good to hear from you-glad you liked the idea,cheers
      johnc(william)

      Delete
  2. C'mon John an enterprising chap like yourself can make a good river surely.I made mine from plastic tiles with decorators caul. The tiles were a great shade of blue and had a nice sheen on them. They are very pliable and because they are backed with paper, non slip. I bought mine at a pound shop. Give them a try. They work well for roads as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robbie,I will have to investigate before I invest most of my monthly pension-good idea!!-book is good by the way,I'm sure Brian will think so too.
      johnc

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Hi Alan-I sometimes think I have too much time on my hands!!-If only I could solve the World's problems as easily!!
      johnc.

      Delete