Monday 4 May 2020

Painting and club update.

This Coronavirus thingy isn't going to get me down-I've been painting my "Auxiliary" legion,and now have only two cohorts to do!!-I get alot of satisfaction from making and painting these Prince August figures.......................


I am painting the cohorts in what can only be described as "bonny" colours!-although the cast figures are actually Legionaires,I am painting over the Lorica Segmentata,and adding oval shields,so will,I am sure, get away with presenting them as Auxiliary troops-my aim at the moment is to get them finished as soon as possible,so I can refight the battle of Mons Graupius,AD83,somewhere in Scotland(actual battle site is disputed!)


Top photo-Awesome sight,and that's just 6 of them!-bottom is detail showing "bonny" colours.
At the battle of Mons Graupius,the auxiliaries did all of the fighting-and a damned good job they did!!
I have had a couple of solo games ,one involving a Norman army fighting a "Crusader" army,and that turned out to be a great game,if a little one-sided!


Top shows the table lay-out,bottom shows the view from the castle ramparts.


Top shows Crusader cavalry beating the Normans,bottom shows the Crusader infantry beating the Normans!!!


Top shows the triumphant Crusader cavalry,bottom shows the view of the battlefield from the castle ramparts!
I enjoy these encounters,it's the putting away of the figures that gets me down!!
Well,the rest of the "boys" have been busy painting buildings and figures that one day soon(??) will be used,but Brian has gone completely mad(it must be the "lock down" or is it the "lock up?") he has started painting 10mm Napoleonic figures!!!
As reported in my last blog,Charlie Wesencraft is well and being looked after by the lads from his group-I spoke to him today,and he is looking forward to commemorating VE day on Friday-which I hope you all are!
I am planning to play an American Civil War 15mm solo game later on this week................


Top shows the over-all terrain set-up,bottom shows detail of the town and junction of "Rosewood"-the Confederates will be defending,the Union attacking!


Two shots of the table before any movement-should be good!
Lastly,may I wish all a very happy "Star Wars Day"(May the Fourth be with you!)
Stay safe.


































































































11 comments:

  1. You Sir are a total Disgrace to the Club.
    A Cup in a Photo.
    Whats next a copy of your Morning Newspaper not Ironed in shot I despair!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw it Brian, I bet he was naked when he took the photographs. God what a thought!

      Delete
    2. What neither of you know is that the "cup" was full of RUM!!!-and how did you know I was naked?
      johnc

      Delete
  2. I do like your Romans but howay John, Pink? I appreciate that there will be no Love Island to watch but pink!
    Great to hear Charlie is okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robbie-I'm quickly running out of colours!
      Did you know that the translation of "The Jolly Roger" from the original French "Jolie Rouger" is Pretty Pink!!-some Pirates they are!!
      johnc

      Delete
  3. Good to see your solo adventures continue. I'm going to have a solo colonial game this weekend and I'm hoping that it will be very one sided! I like the auxiliaries. They're rocking the pink and black look. All the best, Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris,seems my research into Roman Auxiliaries' uniform colours is causing a bit of a stir!!!!-If you read Tacitus backwards,whilst sitting in a bowl of custard,you can plainly see that he refers to Pink as being the chosen colour-honest!!
      johnc

      Delete
  4. Fantastic load of pics John - I really like the Crusader/Norman game (are they Warrior Minis?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahoy matey,yes they are all Warrior figures-in my book you can't go past them!
      Hope you are ok,
      johnc

      Delete
    2. Yes thanks John, surviving on a diet of booze, biscuit and brine!

      Delete
    3. MJT, by the time this is all over,we'll all be long-haired alcoholics,with immaculate gardens and squeaky clean houses!!
      johnc.

      Delete