Thursday 10 June 2021

Armoured Train BP-4

 


You may recall that one of the items that has chugged off my 3D printer is an armoured train. The models are loosely based upon the famous ‘Orlik’ pictured above. So the results are not accurate scale models, but very acceptable wargames models. 

The Zaamurets hot off the printer! 

The models undercoated. I’ve undercoated them different colours as even when I’m fielding as one train, I want it to be clear that it’s far from a homogeneous unit.


The armoured loco. I’ve given this the least impressive look. Poor quality rusted armour. Or just a cheap brown paint job. It’s probably a miracle that it’s still running!


The Zaamurets armoured rail cruiser. The model is a reasonable representation of the actual vehicle. This could be fielded as an independent unit or coupled up with other vehicles. I like that it can be fielded on its own.

It has a main armament of two 3 inch Putilov field guns and is powered by two Fiat 60hp petrol engines. Top speed 28 mph! 

The Zaamurets was built at Kiev in 1916 and saw service with Tsarist Russians, Soviet Russians, the Czech Legion, White Russians and various Chinese armies.

I’ve depicted it in Chinese service when it had the humble name of Train No. 105. The name changed with its masters; Zaamurets, Lenin and Orlik…

It had a very active service history!



Two Khunkhuz-class artillery cars. Each carries a 3 inch mountain gun. I’ve given these a strong Russian feel with the paint job. They were a standard Soviet design.


The whole train together is 28 inches long!  The Zaamurets was combined with an armoured train designated BP-4 in 1918. BP-4 was a Khunkhuz-class armoured train so a loco and two of the artillery cars.

So there you have it! Ready to roll through the Back of Beyond!

Cheers 

Chris 




6 comments:

  1. James Shepherd10 June 2021 at 13:55

    That is totally the dogs dangly bits!!
    I thought you said you were not tech. Minded?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks James. This ol’ dog had to learn a few new tricks to print the train

      Delete
  2. What an absolute ripper! They look like something out of a sci-fi film (or perhaps I should say, we can see where sci-fi writers/producers drew inspiration?)!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m glad you like it James tho I feel I’ve missed the mark on my paint job. You’re the second person that’s said it’s very sci-fi 🤔

      Delete
  3. Chris that's amazing.. another level of skills now!!! who on earth would approach that thinking they could damage it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul. If what I’ve read is true then the Zaamurets’ maximum armour is the same as a Tiger’s maximum armour! So formidable indeed

      Delete