Monday 7 June 2021

The Joy of Kickstarter

 John is probably not alone in his unfamiliarity with Kickstarter. Whereas I’m a huge fan of it. Almost to the point of addiction!

Kickstarter is a crowd funding platform. There are others, but Kickstarter is the most well known. People post their project on the crowd funding site, Joe Public pledge money to support the project and, if it’s successful, Joe Public get rewards.  The rewards are often at a discount price or Kickstarter exclusive items that’ll never see a shop shelf*. 

(* sometimes a project can be successful, but the project owner sadly can’t afford to get it to retail)

Obviously projects can take many forms. The Kickstarter projects I back are wargames minis and tabletop games. 

The excitement of receiving Kickstarter rewards...

A box of goodies from Flags of War 1745 Kickstarter.




 A nice free sergeant for all backers. 

Quite often you’ll get a few freebies from backing a Kickstarter. 

Pre-released rude highlanders! 

Another benefit of some Kickstarter campaigns; getting the minis before they go on general release. 

My main reason for backing this Kickstarter was to get the new Irish Picquets. As well as getting them before their general release, they were at a discounted price.







These brave lads will be heading off shortly to an expert painter friend. Three groups of 8 figures and command to form the backbone of my Jacobites for use with Sharp Practice.






Another Kickstarter arrives. Does it never end...?!

Feel free to ask questions if you want to know more about Kickstarter. It’s not a shop. It can be a lot of fun.

Cheers

Chris

6 comments:

  1. Hi Chris, good to see you at the Border Reivers tonight. Let me know if you want to turn up at the next Saturday meeting on the 19th June. My email is- mwilson291@btinternet.com
    As expected my Panther got blown up!
    Cheers
    Mick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MTP,it was Paul and I(John) who attended the meeting last night,Chris lives in Leeds,and says it's too far to travel every week for a game-the "softie"-see you soon.
      johnc

      Delete
  2. Hi Chris, good to see you at the Border Reivers tonight. Let me know if you want to turn up at the next Saturday meeting on the 19th June. My email is- mwilson291@btinternet.com

    As expected my Panther got blown up!

    Cheers

    Mick

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha I’m not sure I’d get a pass from the missus to game regularly in Newcastle :-P

    ReplyDelete
  4. John probably thinks Kickstarter is a new way to get his lass to do the dishes. Lovely figures by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha quite possibly. The range is lovely. Figures have gone off to the painter man. I’ll post photos when they come back

      Delete