Monday 21 June 2021

Inspiration(!)

Inspiration comes in strange forms!-last week Paul and I visited the Border Reivers Club,and winessed a WW2 tank game,and this gave me the inspiration to try and formulate a set of simple(very simple) rules that would not involve the throwing of "thousands" of dice to achieve a result.Now when the "boys" talk about 75mm guns and 50mm armour etc. it means nothing to me:to me a tank is a tank is a tank,whether it's called Matilda,Tiger or "Scooby Doo" but I still like to see tanks,mortars APC's etc.etc.marching across the wargames table-strange!! So I set about making the rules I would use as user friendly(to me) as possible-working on short,effective and long range for all weapons,I initially made two sets of "new" dice,giving short range a better chance of hitting the target,and long range a worse chance of hitting the target-simple!



The figures(tanks,apc,infantry,mortars and artillery etc.) were all bought from The Pound Shop millions of years ago,and are quite impressive(I think!)

What are you looking at????


The "new" dice-red is short range and has 4 hits(full colour) and 2 misses,the black,effective range has 3 hits and 3 misses,the blue,long range has 2 hits and 4 misses.My idea was to throw the appropriate dice,and if a hit was recorded,then throw an average dice-a 2 or a 5 destroys the target,a 3 or 4 would see the target receive a "red pom-pom"-three pom-poms and the target is destroyed!



A luminous "flash" indicates when a target is destroyed!!


I had three very enjoyable games(does the terrain look familiar?) using my simple rules,which worked a treat,but probably not for the "purists"-I love the diversity this hobby gives to me and I hope to get inspired from many other sources in the future!





































4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Cheers Alan-I like things,like myself,simple!!
      johnc

      Delete
  2. I can imagine that What a Tanker is quite involved. I’ve not played it. Well done on distilling the idea. Hope you’ve a nifty name for it like Toofatlardies always manage (Raus, Scooby Doo?!) Were the infantry just table dressing? Cheers, Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris,I could think of a few names,but too rude to publish!-as for the infantry,no they actually took part,but I used my solo rules for them-high dice wins and low dice gets a "pom-pom"-too simple I know but fun.
      johnc

      Delete