Thursday 3 June 2021

Upcycling

Sort of like recycling, but making things better too!

I have a growing late 17th century collection covering the battles of Sedgemoor and Killiecrankie. As if the campaigns surrounding those battles weren’t enough, many of the regiments can be repurposed for the fighting in Ireland (which has become increasingly popular of late) with new flags. My friend Roger has a fabulous Great Northern War collection so can also repurpose some units for Ireland. What we realised was that our forces for Ireland would be predominantly redcoats on both sides. Visually not very exciting...


What I did have were some French/Spanish types from my pirates collection. They weren’t based on any real regiments. I had just wanted some regulars to face off against my pirates. And they’ve seen many an engagement. I had just painted them as I pleased. I was such a simple creature back then! It feels so recent, yet the pirate games I’m thinking of are over 20 years ago!

I could certainly repurpose some as Irish Jacobites. Under advice I put the grey coated figures back in with the pirates; their tricorn hats were far too modern for the 1690s. So that left me with sufficient musketeers to drop into some regiment or other. I didn’t want to repaint the figures...

Fortunately uniform details for many of the Irish Jacobite regiments are sketchy. The Earl of Clanrickarde’s regiment may have had red facings... in truth they probably had grey coats... ah close enough!



I filled out the unit with secondhand officers and pikemen from ‘Uncle’ Bills and hey presto the musketeers from my pirate collection are upcycled into a smart looking Jacobite regiment. Not in red coats. Job done!

Ok the fancy pants officers are wearing scarlet. It’s still a white-coated regiment. Flags from Flags of War. The original musketeers are still available from Wargames Foundry. The bargain purchases from ‘Uncle’ Bills are Warfare Miniatures.




The finished regiment. 

Cheers 

Chris 



8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks David. Late 17th century is a very pretty period :-)

      Delete
  2. Well done,again matey!grand paint job,and those flags-superb.I must admit I don't like "wasting" figures and try to use any spares as artillerymen or casualties,in fact anything!!
    johnc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers John. The flags are the main thing you see from any distance. As well that they look good. I hate waste too. More so if it’s food! ;-)

      Delete
  3. James Shepherd4 June 2021 at 20:06

    Aye yes a Bonnie unit!
    Fighting HAS always been popular in Ireland lol.
    I have quite a number of the Marlburian figures done by Games Workshop Citadel and also the ones by Duncan Mcfarlane, sold as Stragem if I remember correctly. Have an idea they were moulded by Q.T. Models?
    Spelling correction STRATAGEM.

    Flags always set the unit off nicely, and the early rule writers, most of whom had distinguished real life military careers, always placed emphasis on them.
    I have over many years tried lots of modern type rules, but have to say the older ones are more my style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi James
      Thanks for your comment. You’ve been gaming Malburian for a while if you have Stratagem minis in your collection. Impressive. The rules? I’ll probably use Black Powder or Sharp Practice. Very playable and fun rule sets. I’ve mostly got Front Rank minis. Lovely figures. The Warfare Miniatures I’ve dropped into this unit are lovely animated figures. Don’t mix with the Front Rank figures but look fine with Foundry and should sit well next to your Stratagem Miniatures
      Cheers
      Chris

      Delete
    2. James Shepherd6 June 2021 at 19:25

      Ah, advancing many many different periods for over 50 years, and after once selling a whole load off, the psychological effect of them going out of my life was such that I never part with any of my toys now.
      I collect books, and have a large collection, mainly unbuilt, of sUffix type aircraft kits, plus a couple of classic cars, one of which works. JuadmiI had ten cars at one point, so have cut down there!
      I am unmarried so I don.t have financial commitments, and I don't tidy up too much nwadays.

      Delete
    3. I’m very careful about what I sell nowadays. Sold my Sikh Wars collection and have spent a lot of time regretting it!

      Delete