Sunday 25 July 2021

Battle of Lake Tanganyika



 Supplemental

However I manage to game these engagements, I figure that I’ll need some ‘splooshes’. If I use the rules Steamer Wars then you need splash suppression markers.

26 December 1915, the German steam launch Kingani puts oil on the firewood in her furnace to increase her speed as she zigzags away from her pursuers. As her only armament is a forward facing 6 pounder, and she was attempting to get away, the crew could only engage the British with rifles.

9 February 1916, H.M.S. Mimi turns to avoid the shells of the Hedwig von Wissmann.

The splooshes are 3D printed. The file is designed to produce 3cm tall markers especially for Cruel Seas. I simply scaled them up to various sizes in the slicer software so they look right next to my 28mm models.

The printed items undercoated white.

Washed with blue Contrast paint. I applied the paint around the bottom and pulled it up with water.

Dry brushed white and gloss varnished. Cheap and easy! And hopefully effective?

Hopefully I’ll figure out how to game these engagements in 28mm without needing a football pitch! The Hedwig von Wissmann was 6 miles away when her crew realised that the approaching vessels were enemy ‘warships’.

And it’s never just one thing on the go…

3D printed mangrove trees ready to post off to Andy at Last Valley to work his magic. It wasn’t until the last 6 or so that I figured out how to print these without problems. Hence the ‘seconds’ covered in glue and greenstuff modelling putty!

Finally I can get back to painting Kikuyu and Masai. Really need some shows to put on some demo and participation games using all the new toys I’ve printed, built and painted during the lockdowns.

Take care :-)

Chris


3 comments:

  1. love the detail and weathering on the ships
    fantastic !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again,well done-great article and wonderful painting-keep 'em coming!
    johnc

    ReplyDelete